Bee Wagon recommendations

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've finally reached the stage where I need to think about a dedicated bee wagon - a small van that I just use for beekeeping. None of my apiaries have storage, so I need to have a good collection of equipment available. I also want to be able to pack in a bunch of supers and a couple of spare brood boxes.

I know nothing about vans. Does anyone have any recommendations, or even advice on what to steer clear of?

I don't have one, but I'm aware having one might make my life a little easier at some point soon so I've been keeping a list. Vehicles I've seen recommended include:

Citroen Berlingo (van, or car with the rear seats removed)
Renault Kangoo (the same, I assume)
Landrover Defender TD5
Any pickup (L200, Hilux etc.)
Vauxhall Combo

And perhaps a little bit more "out there":

Kia Sorrento
Honda Jazz
Rover 75 2.0 Estate

Searching for some of those here will almost certainly bring up more information and other ideas.

A beekeeper I know locally has a Hilux (I think) from which he has removed the entire load bay and replaced it with an entirely flat bed (and lots of tie-down points, I assume). Unless you're shifting a lot of kit and need the space, the pickups have always looked quite an expensive option to me.

James

I wouldnt recommend a Defender. They are a great vehicle but are a favourite target of thieves. Guy down my road got ran down trying to stop some scumbags stealing his from outside his house.

I wouldnt recommend a Defender. They are a great vehicle but are a favourite target of thieves. Guy down my road got ran down trying to stop some scumbags stealing his from outside his house.

Surely that's a recommendation to have somewhere secure to keep it?

James

Surely that's a recommendation to have somewhere secure to keep it?

James
The people that go after them are pretty persistant. A farm on the other side of the valley had a breeze block and concrete wall dismantled during a storm one night and Defender plus quad taken.

There's not much that is really secure, all you're doing really is slowing them down.

There's nothing to say its not at risk when you're out and about either.

Thing is with the defender (or the current plastic hairdresser's car) you haven't got that much flat loadspace, unless you go for a Hi-Cap
Yes that's right and partly why alot of people started moving to pick ups etc.

It's ok if you've got a trailer but the good ones draw attention as well:cautious:

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I will do some research on

Citroen Berlingo
Renault Kangoo
Vauxhall Combo

I take the point about the Defender, which I think I discount on both floorspace and the fact it will be parked on an open driveway.

If I had a smallholding I would definitely want a pickup, but sadly I don't :(

With a budget between £5-£7k I think I'm looking at a 5+ year old with 70,000+ miles. I guess with a diesel engine the mileage wouldn't matter

I have a Jazz. With the rear seats folded up I can fit two hives with super(s) behind the driver and a third in the boot although it's awkward getting the first two in and out. Probably a fourth on the front passenger seat. With the seats folded down which I've not done as there are usually child seats in mine, I am pretty sure it would fit four hives in the back/boot in a significantly easier to remove way and potentially a fifth on the front passenger seat.

Does fine off road in the dry although clearance may be an issue on more worn farm tracks. I've not tried it in the mud.

It's possible to have a towbar fitted too if you want to use a trailer.

In the Peugeot Combo with the rear seats folded down there is room for 5 columns of 2 lansgthot hives plus an additional rise. With the British standard, I would say that 6 can go, although only 2 heights in the deep model.

I hadn't realised how many manufacturers vans (and cars I suppose) are actually the same, just with different trim. i.e. Vauxhall Combo Cargo = Peugot Partner = Citroen Berlingo = Toyota Proace City. Presumably all made in the same factory

Had an ex environment agency Mitsubishi outlander with a flat bed conversion bulkhead and reversing camera. Had electronic 4wd (high ratio only). Did about 40mpg and no dpf. Boot capacity was better than most king cab trucks. The passenger doors were great as all the kit was readily accessible. Carrying capacity was about 700kg. A good vehicle and only struggled with really sodden fields.

I have a Jazz. With the rear seats folded up I can fit two hives with super(s) behind the driver and a third in the boot although it's awkward getting the first two in and out. Probably a fourth on the front passenger seat. With the seats folded down which I've not done as there are usually child seats in mine, I am pretty sure it would fit four hives in the back/boot in a significantly easier to remove way and potentially a fifth on the front passenger seat.

Does fine off road in the dry although clearance may be an issue on more worn farm tracks. I've not tried it in the mud.

It's possible to have a towbar fitted too if you want to use a trailer.
My Jazz took 4 hives (floor,brood and super plus roof). easily. I reckon I could get more in if I needed. (and planned it).
Built in luggage hooks help.

I hadn't realised how many manufacturers vans (and cars I suppose) are actually the same, just with different trim. i.e. Vauxhall Combo Cargo = Peugot Partner = Citroen Berlingo = Toyota Proace City. Presumably all made in the same factory
If in Vigo (Galicia) or in France.

Any experiences with Dacia duster?
They have good ground clearance +'4wd

Any experiences with Dacia duster?
They have good ground clearance +'4wd

As far as I'm aware it's basically a "budget" Renault and is even sold as a Renault in some parts of the world. I know someone who has one and thinks it's wonderful, though he lives in the foothills of the French Alps so what works for him might well be irrelevant to many others.

The boot space looks quite narrow compared with the Berlingo or the Kangoo to me.

James

Hyundai Tucson here especially as there is a flat level entry no lift up and drop down. I managed to fit a Drayton hive and a long hive for 30 frames in complete with legs!!

Had a Santa Fe which was superb, flat and level as you say and the right height. Berlingo is lower (a consideration if you have back problems) and a smaller space but makes up for that with load height. Also much cheaper to run.

The Berlingo and the Kangoo cars and all the panel vans appear to have a nice low boot lip, usually flush with the floor, which appeals to me. I like the sliding rear doors too. It looks as though it would be easier to get kit in and out of those rather than the standard hinged door of a car. At the moment I just put stuff in the back of my Fiesta which is a nuisance because of the high boot lip and because it's a two-door model getting anything in from the front is a pain. If I don't get a dedicated "bee van" then once the children are both at university I might well just remove the rear seats altogether.

Converting a car into a pseudo-van appeals because there's better visibility thanks to having windows all round, and in extremis it can be turned back into a (more than one-) passenger carrying vehicle.

The appeal of a genuine van (as well as the flat floor) is that the bulkhead behind the seats can probably be made bee-proof if it isn't already, so what's put in the back should stay in the back, which might be reassuring when you find that a hornet has cadged a lift.

One other vehicle that might possibly fit the bill is the Fiat Multipla. I've no idea what they were like in terms of reliability. Perhaps the fact that they appear to be made of unobtanium might be relevant. I assume they're probably cheap when they do come up for sale if for no other reason than that they clearly hit every single branch when they fell out of the ugly tree.

James

Latest posts

Back