Bee Farmers apprenticeship scheme

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am being realistic. Do you consider those wages realistic?
Would you work for those wages?
Some may pay more and they should.

Don't forget that the work of an apprentice has to be checked for a considerable time, this in turn slows a fully skilled person down and cuts their productivity, that is why in many walks of life companies refuse to take on apprentices. They cost the company a fortune in lost productivity, there are many unseen costs, try insuring a 17 year old to drive a 4x4 at work, can cost 1000 pounds a year plus, trust me I know, I have tried

I have one that I am training at the moment

They cost the company a fortune in lost productivity, there are many unseen costs, try insuring a 17 year old to drive a 4x4 at work, can cost 1000 pounds a year plus, trust me I know, I have tried

Going to say £1000 is cheap, when I got our first business 4x4 in 2011 at 21 was £1300. Can't imagine what it would be for a 17 year old.

Two sons ( Andrew & Lewis) have just left to spend the first week away on another bee farm in east Surrey as part of the apprenticeship scheme, they will meet up with the other seven apprentices later today, hope they all get on well and have good weather for the week.

Two sons ( Andrew & Lewis) have just left to spend the first week away on another bee farm in east Surrey as part of the apprenticeship scheme, they will meet up with the other seven apprentices later today, hope they all get on well and have good weather for the week.

Good luck to them both, i am sure they will have a great future in Bee keeping not worthy

How are they getting on? Looking into this for my son who has an interest,

I wish something like this was around when I was 16. I think 33 is a little too old. Seems a good scheme. Probably more money to be earned after doing a plumbing apprenticeship though

How are they getting on? Looking into this for my son who has an interest,

They are doing very well thank you, it is a good apprenticeship scheme, and lot of work has gone into setting it up, i believe they thinking of making it available to older people at some stage, although obviously not too old as the whole point is to try and get younger people into bee farming.

According to the BBC this morning, the first apprentice was a 26year old girl. So there's hole for the old fogies out there.

I assume you meant hope!

Two sons ( Andrew & Lewis) have just left to spend the first week away on another bee farm in east Surrey as part of the apprenticeship scheme

They have recently done their final week at East Surrey bees.

They have recently done their final week at East Surrey bees.

If they could politely point out to Celia that nucs cannot be picked up at 8pm on on a June evening it might have more authority than coming from me.

But it's a good shop and they'll have fun. Very different from your operation I would expect.

ADD Oh shoot: just saw "final" (the memory doesn't span 3 years). Oh well. Most of the above, and good luck to them. You must be very proud and pleased to have them in your footsteps.

Last edited:
Well done them, they will probably be telling dad a thing or two now:)

Can you teach an old dog new tricks?

Tried to get No 1 Son on the scheme but he is too old, scared of bees, and is probably overqualified ( But can not find a job with his degree in Rocky Shore Ecology.... did work for a year on minim wage at the National Marine Aquarium)

From what I have seen and read the Bee Farmers' apprenticeship scheme would be a very good thing for a youngster to get into.....
Have two more young ones looking for a job in the next 10 tears!!!

Yeghes da

Latest posts

Back