Bee Farmers apprenticeship scheme

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
August's Beecraft had a prominent article about BFA apprenticeships. Went to the BFA website to investigate further and most recent up date is in 2011 and a note saying new website under construction. It does give a contact email for enquiries which I will try.
Does anybody here have any experience/info about them please?

Hi Jimmy, as it says on the website give David Bancalari a mail or message me if you want his number.
Website is as you say somewhat neglected, too busy bee farming ! David however is on the case now and I am sure will be updating it soon, he has lots to do. He will happily talk to you though and can tell you all about the scheme

Thanks Pete D, saw the general enquiries email address but hadn't seen David Bancalari's name alongside it.

OP could have been clearer - was wondering if any one has experience of the scheme rather than the BFA itself.

Last edited:
I went to a recent meeting / Husbandry day with them in Cambridge and it was mentioned then. I may of heard it wrong but I believe they were after 7 and had 4 already, it was a supported / funded scheme and this was the first year either just started or about too

Others, probably (ITLD) may be along soon to correct me

I'm up for recruiting an apprentice before the start of next season. BFA are handling the initial stages of recruitment (for which I am grateful). But if anyone knows of any potential candidates please pass them on to Margaret Ginman at BFA http://www.beefarmers.co.uk/Contact1.html

Basic details:
Salary: TBA but subject to legal minimum outlined here: http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/be-an-apprentice/the-benefits.aspx

The major obstacle is finding suitable candidates within commuting distance as the salary isn't huge.

August's Beecraft had a prominent article about BFA apprenticeships. Went to the BFA website to investigate further and most recent up date is in 2011 and a note saying new website under construction. It does give a contact email for enquiries which I will try.
Does anybody here have any experience/info about them please?

Updated website now up and running Jimmy

I'm up for recruiting an apprentice before the start of next season.

Doing the same, Chris... with one of my sons who leaves school soon, and maybe two sons.

Last edited:
Is it legal to state an age? I think not!

Quite apart from any discrimination question, one of the stories that had reached me was that the Bee Farmers scheme was, in part at least, targeted at ex-Police, Forces, Fire Service etc early retirees.
Doubt they'd be retiring that young, somehow. Despite the pension.

Quite apart from any discrimination question, one of the stories that had reached me was that the Bee Farmers scheme was, in part at least, targeted at ex-Police, Forces, Fire Service etc early retirees.
Doubt they'd be retiring that young, somehow. Despite the pension.
As Chris B states above this scheme is only open to genuine applicants of apprentice scheme age ie 16 to 24 years old, and is not targeted in any other way. As you say not many retirees from the forces at that age.

As Chris B states above this scheme is only open to genuine applicants of apprentice scheme age ie 16 to 24 years old, and is not targeted in any other way.

It appears to be an excellent scheme, three year apprenticeship, the only part my sons don't like the sound of is the maths and English exams.

Bit about it here.

There is a skills shortage and an ageing profile in the industry. The knowledge exists in our industry and we must tap into it before it is too late. This apprenticeship scheme is designed to do just that.’

The BFA believes the best way to recruit and train new entrants into the industry is through the development of an ‘in house’ apprenticeship scheme.

So, with the support of Defra and the Worshipful Company of Wax Chandlers, it is setting up its apprenticeship scheme to attract 30 apprentices over the next three years.

‘We really need 300 new professional beekeepers,’ Board Member John Mellis says, ‘but 30 is a start.’

So what will BFA apprentices study?

Study plans have been carefully worked out to take into account study opportunities at higher level within beekeeping or business. Students who complete the three years successfully will have a sound basis of skills and knowledge. Topics covered in the training include:

• introduction to beekeeping

• anatomy and dissection

• microscopy

• diseases

• integrated pest management

• pollen and nutrition

• botany and forage sources

• queen rearing and stock improvement

• seasonal management

• processing hive products

• bottling and presentation

• equipment cleansing and recovery

• carpentry including basic woodworking skills

• setting up a business

• finance

• business structures

• marketing

• the competitive environment

• the industry worldwide

• first aid

• health and safety

• food hygiene.

There will be 46 weeks practical work on the bee farm each year. There may be opportunities to work on different bee farms throughout the country and visit different bee farming set-ups to gain a variety of experience. We would ideally like to offer some experience abroad as well. We are speaking to the Worshipful Company of Fruiterers about support for this.

i'de like to do something like that but i'm old and have a house to keep so i guess it's going to remain a pipe dream for me.

i can remember being 24 just :) 20 years ago for me lol.
i think 44 is a little old to become an apprentice and the bills don't stop .

There will be 46 weeks practical work on the bee farm each year. We would ideally like to offer some experience abroad as well. We are speaking to the Worshipful Company of Fruiterers about support for this.

Well, if the WCF get it together, send me some youngsters and I'll give them something to do. Bees up to their ears. Massive on the job training. :)

I'm serious.

Is it legal to state an age? I think not!

Strictly speaking perhaps you're right. It might be better to say the following:

Wanted: an apprentice.

Conditions: must be eligible for government funding

I would much prefer the government was not so ageist as personally I think they are disqualifying good candidates.

(As it turns out I'm actually deferring recruiting an apprentice for a short while.)

Well, if the WCF get it together, send me some youngsters and I'll give them something to do. Bees up to their ears. Massive on the job training. :)

I'm serious.

Michael,

I'll be happy to cross the pond and work with you, even for just one week it would be worth it.

I can try and look young as well, well younger than Bates ;-)

I'm serious.

I'll visit, Mike, and you can train me, only good at making tea mind.
The boys should hopefully get chance to visit some beefarms in other countries while on the apprentice scheme, one of them is going to Kenya for two months at the end of the year, but that is to do army stuff, no beekeeping.

Back