Bee escapes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there's been one for sale for several years in the local apiary suppliers, no takers!!

asked the vendor, he had no experience of it either.

only just seen them just wondering if they work cant see why not though.

Not tried it yet, (No honey :eek:) but I have a similar, but 8 way version, as recommended by my tutor - just in case I get opportunity to use it :hurray:

Tha basic principle is OK, same principle as a rhombus or canadian. However, in my understanding, there should be a mesh panel in the centre, so that any bees trying to return are drawn to the smell coming through that, and are kept away from the arms. Without that, they will try to get back the way they came out, and will succeed.

only just seen them just wondering if they work cant see why not though.

I made a clearing board with 5 cones from THxx.nes (Canadian?) spaced about it and tried that. However, bees readily found the way back in so it is going to anyone who fancies it. In short, if the bees can find their way back with what I made, then the cheapie on Exay isn't going to any more satifactory by the look of it. Avoid - waste of time. Sweep the bees off the frames with a brush is easier in the long run if you have the time.

sweeping them off isnt an option, done that before never again takes too much time and the bees dont like it if you have to do it again the next day to remove more supers.

Skyhook,

Your post iso n the button, I would say. I would like the exits closer to the extremities of the box and a large mesh in the middle. But the rhombus works fine and I use them..

So do Porters for that matter, but it's a good job we are not all alike

Rab some of them are quite large

img_0410.jpg

Rab some of them are quite large

Larger, yes, but no mesh in the centre, Could be larger still - bees exiting closer to, but not at, the edges of the board. As Skyhook posted, any bees considering going up will bunch near the centre if there is a mesh there

There is mesh in some of them not the one on e - bay that i posted but i can see that the mesh is an advantage

I know a guy (sadly recently died, RIP) who used these. His crop was mostly early and OSR. He tried many combinations, but found these cleared the quickest, meaning he could put on clearer boards and by the time he'd completed putting on the rest, he could start taking off the supers within and hour or so. Whole apiary cleared in a couple of hours rather than half a day or making two trips.

He swore by them, but the price looks very high. I've seen them much cheaper.

psafloyd;263616He swore by them said:
They work, like you say this seems very expensive especially when shipping is included.

They do not need mesh. The face you see in the pic is nailed facing into the board, and an augur or disc cut hole, maybe an inch or more wide, is made in the board. Then its drilled hole facing up to the supers, plastic implement facing down to the broodnest, and clearing should be quick.

However..................bees cut off from the queen and seeking a way back behave in a certain way mostly, which makes centre exit clearing slower than corner exit. They become agitated and tend to march round and round the outer edges of the isolated boxes, and although centre exit works OK, corner exit is faster. Making oneself a New Zealand style clearer board is cheap and easy and doen not need you to buy any expensive gadgets.

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/canadian.html#nz

Dave referred to them as Canadian style, on hos page look for the very first pic with the four corner assembles in place.....you actually only need two in opposite corners, but four of them will clear the box above in maybe an hour at most. they are very very rapid and do not clog up like porters do. Simple to make at home. They are what we use, and the very first time we did that using some borrowed boards it was blindingly obvious that Porters were slow and inefficient by comparison. Exit over 100 porters to the bin.

ps....the plastic one CAN also be used with mesh..............driling a hole through the plastic as well and attaching it the other way up............might work faster that way.

I use the similar 8 way variant (also large) and it works fine with just a hole on board. Bought from Thorne s for 99p at 'shows' I think from memory. Also use Rhombus ones.

I used these last year (large size as in the photo)
Found them to be effective and fast. Cleared all but a few stragglers in about half an hour.
I also left a colony with one on overnight to see if the bees would go back into the super. After twelve hours there were only about half a dozen bees in the super.

Latest posts

Back