BBKA: one member one vote?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
to be honest I wasn't too bothered by a £20k loss in a £1m budget. Several of the county delegates did have such skills which is sufficient.

You weren't bothered about a 2% loss? I would be all over those books until I understood why.
To put this in perspective it would be like 1 in every 50 members deciding not to pay.

Last edited:
It's 2-3 years ago so a long answer isn't appropriate but, in short, the main factor was that the BBKA had set up an online shop and it was a loss maker. I viewed it as an experiment gone wrong, a learning experience they wouldn't repeat. As a matter of fact there were other problems which weren't apparent to me at the time of the meeting, but my view at the time was "we're agreed this experiment will be curtailed - now let's move on". Every business tries some ventures which don't work out. The loss wasn't hidden in the accounts.

You assume the local associations care about the BBKA, I'm only a member because I have to be if I want to be in my association.

A very important point......and at an individual member level;
how many ordinary association members are simply interested in the insurance?

I'm doing something terribly wrong if a 20k loss was not worrying.

I see the point that £20k / 2% of the budget is not an insignificant figure, but from the further explanation it seems the point was that the £20k was a venture that was unsuccessful and written off.

Step aside from the perhaps poor wording and look at the context:

oxnatbees said:
I didn't have the accounting skills, that was my key deficiency... Several of the county delegates did have such skills which is sufficient.

So in amongst the 70-ish delegates there will likely be various skills such as accountancy, legal, HR, business strategy, procurement, IT, marketing, publishing - even good old elf'n'safety!

one association one vote would be a better solution. Remove block voting of counties. This means we can get motivation to participate in the process and the communication needed.. improve the accessability of representation to the members
and stop the "fixing"

A very important point......and at an individual member level;
how many ordinary association members are simply interested in the insurance?

Most, I'd have thought.

You weren't bothered about a 2% loss? I would be all over those books until I understood why.
To put this in perspective it would be like 1 in every 50 members deciding not to pay.

£20k is not 2% of £1m. Have I missed something here?

This is the same BBKA who said they wouldn't publish the names of people who had passed the basic assessment in the BBKA news last year because it would cost too much.

That's what the website is for, and that cost a lot more than the insert about the court case.

I was a delegate for a couple of years. The key thing to note about One Member One Vote is: most of the association delegates prepare thoroughly for the annual delegates' meeting.

Quite right, oxnatbees. I teed up my county in the summer to consider potential propositions and to gather any input from members so we would have time to frame them and have them finalised by our September meeting for submission in October.

By appointing your own delegate you get an enthusiast who researches the side issues, goes along and discusses with other delegates to gain insight, and (hopefully) reports back to your BKA what they learnt.

Exactly so, and if anyone who has commented here feels they don;t get this, they should be pressing for it. I do it not because i want to, but because I want to be sure we are properly represented and not many people put themselves forward.

That's what the website is for, and that cost a lot more than the insert about the court case.

One has to say which clown (rich clown) is getting around 20K for designing a web site?
Hosting is no more than £200 per year and a decent web designer will do the lot for under 2K.
Even with a dedicated vBulletien forum like this one it's not that expensive.

I have had four sites built in recent years and not one cost over £200.

£2k? total waste of dosh.

PH

One has to say which clown (rich clown) is getting around 20K for designing a web site?
Hosting is no more than £200 per year and a decent web designer will do the lot for under 2K.
Even with a dedicated vBulletien forum like this one it's not that expensive.

I have had four sites built in recent years and not one cost over £200.

£2k? total waste of dosh.

PH

Indeed, as a long time IT web developer, I suspect that they have been taken along that good old road that often motivates unscrupulous, lawyers, estate agents, bankers...et al. It goes along the lines of..."What's the job worth, and how much can we get away with before someone twigs it's a con". There's nothing quite like "blinding with science" those that don't have a clue!

Latest posts

Back