BBKA: one member one vote?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One has to say which clown (rich clown) is getting around 20K for designing a web site?
Hosting is no more than £200 per year and a decent web designer will do the lot for under 2K.
Even with a dedicated vBulletien forum like this one it's not that expensive.

I didn't say it cost £20K, I said it cost more than an insert would have done.

But, that said, BBKA spent a lot of money on a site that didn't work and then they didn't use, preferring BBKA News as the primary (sole in many cases) channel of communication with its members.

I know I am not the only one who doesn't tear into their magazine the moment it arrives, because we have other priorities. You know, trivial stuff like earning a living.

Er, I think so....

£20,000 is 2% of £1,000,000

Yes, my error has already been pointed out and I cannot explain the aberration beyond an early start and a very long day after a very long week.

For some reason, however many times I looked at it, it didn't compute yesterday –-must have been thinking in billions...

Hence no incentive to change anything

Quite right. And given the option, I doubt few would wish to have any further contact with the organisation, deferring – as they do now –-to their local groups.

Looks like a classic example of a mismanaged organisation and would be better off getting professional help form some organisation who know what they are doing.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/disagreements-and-disputes-in-charities

The Charity Commission are spineless. From the same page above:

Charity Commission said:
When to involve the commission

The commission can only get involved in internal disputes when:

there are no trustees (or correctly appointed trustees) in place, and
you can show that all attempts to resolve the dispute have failed

Whilst there are Trustees in place, the CC will do nothing, however deceitful those Trustees might be, or however inept their management.

In my own case I could show that I had tried all constitutional mechanisms - including an EGM - but still the CC would not get involved. At one point one of my complaints to the CC was referred back to the then Chairman, who simply batted it back with something along the lines of "we have investigated the matter and have policies in place to deal with it". No further scrutiny.

It amazes me that the likes of Private Eye are not all over the Charity Commission for this extremely loose touch regulation, particularly in the wake of Kids Company.

Hence my frustration that the Delegates wouldn't call for resignations in the face of clear evidence of misconduct and mismanagement, they just allowed certain Trustees to sit there and serve out their 3 year terms...

has the fewer persons involved in the county level delegate system been used to do stitch ups... ?
In smaller group it is easer to persuade gajol threaten bully.

To remedy things the first step is to get a raft of new people and a larger group as delegates. Then any trustees will find it harder to "fix".

The county level in the 21st century is redundant except for organising conferences and shows.

One delegate per association would dramatically the political landscape and is easier to justify.

So the associations send delegates to the ADM. I wonder how many associations even bother to tell their members they do that and how many ask for their members opinions? Mine has done neither.

So the associations send delegates to the ADM. I wonder how many associations even bother to tell their members they do that and how many ask for their members opinions? Mine has done neither.

Many gather views from their divisional representatives who feed these in at county level for discussion and decisions.

Some have complained to me before that they haven't been asked specifically, but then when I asked them when they last attended a meeting, they admitted they never go.

I did use email and SurveyMonkey to keep my members up to date, but not everyone is up to speed on that, yet, so the meeting remains the best place to raise these matters.

And if your association has done nothing, Hebeegeebee, and yo;re unhappy about that, what are you going to do about it?

Back