BBKA membership

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanterrier

House Bee From SW Northumberland
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
To join or not to join, that is the question.
For me, consider that:
I'm deaf so unlikely to attend group visits or classes.
I'm not a "club" type
I dont need to know how to assemble frames etc
I dont need to buy any equipment
I wouldn't buy a nuc.
I will not be selling honey.

So, would I benefit from joining my local BKA? I've looked at their website and am unconvinced of the benefits but perhaps they are selling themselves short?
I often read on these forums less than complimentary comments about them.
What do you reckon? How do you benefit?
K :unsure:

Most who umm and err or are unkeen on BBKA join up via the LBKA soley for the insurance benefits, one dosen't have to have any other LBKA contact.

Whether selling honey, swarm collecting or just generally having bees as livestock one has some peace of mind in this litigated world.

Plus whether you want it or not , one gets a monthly comic.

Not sure the insurance is actually,really worth it unless you have lots of really expensive hardware and software.
You may have to fight for a payout.

Swarm list is only useful if you want lots of grotty colonies and the hassle of dealing with mostly unappreciative uninterested clientele-you could set up bait hives if your desperate.

Buying and selling are best done outside organisations.

Politics and bickering can be easily experienced ad nauseum on beekeeping forums .

Extractor hire can be worked around by simply buying your own,which will rapidly pay for itself without you being at the back of the queue of club favourites.

The Bbka magazine is a very useful resource as an Andrex substitute if you take out the shiny pages.

Use the time and money to treat yourself to a new queen.

Last edited:
For me, consider that:
I'm not a "club" type
I wouldn't buy a nuc.

So, would I benefit from joining my local BKA? I've looked at their website and am unconvinced of the benefits but perhaps they are selling themselves short?
Go your own way, do your own thing solve your own problems,

Not sure the insurance is actually,really worth it unless you have lots of really expensive hardware

BBKA insurance does not cover loss of equipment.
The reason people want it is for Public and Product liability. Extremely important cover should a beekeeper be sued.

The insurance alone is worth having - third party cover for just about anything that a beekeeper would need .. the Bee Disease insurance - well, it's there in the awful circumstances that your colonies contract foul brood. The magazine has some occasional interest in it and you get access to whatever other of the benefits of becoming a member are. It's not a lot of money but like everything in beekeeping the decision making process is all yours. One man's meat is another man's poison.

The insurance is worth it if nothing else and let’s face it it’s not a great deal.
Particularly for novices clubs and being able to talk through issues are good, the ability to get help or indeed a second opinion are also valuable.
I’m no fan but for beginners the pros far outweigh any cost or negatives.

The reason people want it is for Public and Product liability. Extremely important cover should a beekeeper be sued.
If I am not selling honey, what could I be sued for? My apiary is 200 yards from public access but only 20 yards from my neighbours paddock ( he intends to start keeping bees next year and will share the apiary).

If I am not selling honey, what could I be sued for? My apiary is 200 yards from public access but only 20 yards from my neighbours paddock ( he intends to start keeping bees next year and will share the apiary).
It seems you have answered your own question..

Yes the BDI insurance isn't worth a toss really, but I should have been clearer and said TPI .

So can someone trespassing on my land claim they were stung by one of my bees? How would they know? Has there been any successful claims?
I'm less inclined to join just for the insurance which afterall is all about risk...
As astutely observed above. I have answered my own question. Thanks all for helping me realise the answer.

K ;)

If I am not selling honey, what could I be sued for?
Are you ever going to give any honey away? Not sure about the legal aspects but I'd be surprised if you couldn't be sued in the instance of a shared of glass from a free jar ending up in someone's mouth.

successful claims
Oh, yes, plenty of court cases setting legal precedent, so the only way to be free of possible liability would be to give up beekeeping.

Beware: horses & bees do not usually mix, not just because horses exude animal sweat which alerts bees to a threat, but many equine grooming lotions contain chemicals that mimic the alarm pheromone of honey bees (thank you, Robin).

You're trying to justify saving £30 without the experience to take into account a worst-case scenario, but save elsewhere and see it as a sensible investment.

https://www.northernbeebooks.co.uk/products/frimston-and-smith-beekeeping-and-the-law/
https://www.northernbeebooks.co.uk/products/sweeney-bees-at-law/

For me, consider that:
I'm not a "club" type
I wouldn't buy a nuc.

But you do need public liability insurance, in fact it's the only real reason to join.

I'd be surprised if you didn't find articles of interest from time to time in the monthly BBKA News, delivered to your door (at huge cost to the BBKA). I would argue that we shouldn't be delivering paper copies at all in these times, but that's a discussion for another day.

It's funny how our perception of the cost of something varies hugely depending on what it is. The cost of the BBKA sub (£23 per year including BDI for three colonies) seems less in other contexts.

Join purely for the insurance. The BBKA Public Liability Insurance is worth the £30 I pay for membership of my local association and the BBKA combined. I also enjoy turning up a couple of times a year to stir up the '2 hive' experts!!!!

To join or not to join. I’m a member with no regrets. I like the magazine, I find it informative. I’m happy to have the insurance. I’ve joined the local club which has been extremely helpful for advice and support and they are lovely friendly group. I’m impressed with the way that they are tackling the Asian Hornet invasion. What other group would be doing what they are, tracking recording coordinating and educating about the problem. Without members they wouldn’t have the funds to be able to do it.
Membership isn’t expensive and is well worth the money

Latest posts

Back