First Hive choice advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnkemp

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all, been on here for ages, but only begun the process of getting my first, bees, sitting in on the local BKA classes with a view to a hands on course starting april where you look after a nuc they provide and then move to your own hive at the end of the season.

Actually sharing the cost with a friend with a view to splitting next year to give us two hives between us.

I've decided to go poly on price and thermal grounds, but I have a few things I'm considering.

The local association seems to be entirely National/Commercial, at least at the apiary, so my bees are likely to be on standard nat deep frames.

Should I just accept it and go for a Nat Poly? If so, how are the Maisemore ones - the shop is about 5 miles from my place so nice and handy? BBS or TBS?

Or should I say to hell with it and go for Langstroth from the start and carry out something like a shook swarm when I need to transition to my own boxes? I like the idea of TBS from what I've read.

If so, as Maisies don't do poly Langstroths, I need to pick from Abelo/Swienty/Paradise.

Asking now as the Maisie's sale is soon and if I'm buying form them I may as well get it cheap (will probably grab a nuc anyway - for future split or as a swarm trap).

Thanks chaps and chapesses.

:welcome:from the shadows.

When we started (after a lot of reading on here and elsewhere) we opted for 14 x 12 'national' cedar. After yet more reading and a couple of years experience we have moved to Poly, and yes the bees do seem to do better in them. If your nuc. arrives on standard national frames with some suitable packing under the frames to prevent wild comb the transfer to 14 x 12 "should" be fairly pain free

We went with Payne's mainly based on price but there is a lot more choice out there these days.

Good luck when you get your bees.

I started with wooden Nationals, quickly updated in my second year to 14x12 and by my fourth year most of my hives were poly; all top space. Nobody makes National footprint top space poly so my hives are adapted with a glued on eke.
I tried the poly without runners for a season but that ended up a little too messy for me hence the ekes.
If I had my time again I would definitely go for poly Langstroth and run all mediums.
It’s easy enough to put National frames in a poly box, just attach them to a Lang top bar, no need for a shook swarm.

I started with wooden Nationals, quickly updated in my second year to 14x12 and by my fourth year most of my hives were poly; all top space. Nobody makes National footprint top space poly so my hives are adapted with a glued on eke.
I tried the poly without runners for a season but that ended up a little too messy for me hence the ekes.
If I had my time again I would definitely go for poly Langstroth and run all mediums.
It’s easy enough to put National frames in a poly box, just attach them to a Lang top bar, no need for a shook swarm.

Cable ties are your friend. I did that when I started with Langs (jumbo brood and shallow supers - mediums as supers far too heavy for me)

Hi. Go on your course and try a few hives types at the end of the day any hive is just a bee container you may wish to choose what’s more easily available or compatible with other equipment. If cost is an issue look at wooden seconds, a transfer from 14x12 or even bs to Langstroth is very easy. For Lang’s a seconds National brood box 2 squares of ply and a couple of bits of batten are all you require, even if you have to buy it’s about £25.

Wood every time. Nationals. Polys have no soul:(

Thanks folks for the advice.

If it is that easy to adjust Nat frames to Lang then that’s my default plan.

Nice Lang Nuc from Maise then a hive later in the year 😊

No need to mess with the frames.

Put a bit of board over the nuc. On top perch your hive of choice.

have a hole as big as you can without letting water in.

Leave the bees to it.

When you see eggs in the top box put in an excluder and check again after at least three days that you have the queen up there. If not take the excluder out and wait a few days again. She will go up they always do.

After three weeks you nuc has hatched out and your top unit is taking off.

Let the bees do the work, no stress no messing no tying.

KISS

PH

Thanks folks for the advice.

If it is that easy to adjust Nat frames to Lang then that’s my default plan.

Nice Lang Nuc from Maise then a hive later in the year 😊

Maisie’s sell overwintered Lang nucs but they are expensive
You could always just go for a package

If you are thinking of going Poly, Maisie’s Poly Sale starts 3rd(?) Feb. I’m in for 4 x complete 14x12’s - same as rest. Definite advantages in sticking to one hive type.

Langstroth!!

Latest posts

Back