BBKA membership cards

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiveabee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Has any one received a 2014/15 membership card yet? I cant remember what month they send them out

Not yet.
The BBKA have also failed to update the swarm collection pages to reflect our association changes. This despite at least 3 attempts by us and 2 calls from them.
(Houston we have a problem!!!)

does it actually matter? apart from CnC sugar.

Well yes I think it does. If your part of an organisation such as BBKA you need some sort of proof. I always show it to anyone I collect swarms from. It tends to calm people down when they have had 1000s of bees flying around.

not had one either but there again i am not a member :icon_204-2:

I phoned them a couple of weeks ago as I thought mine had expired but I knew I was a member. They issue them when you joined so as I joined in the month of June, my new one will be issued then, even tho my membership was paid in March.

Strange but true. At least that's what they told me.

does it actually matter? apart from CnC sugar.

Yes as I'm looking at getting an allotment for bees, but the council requires proof of being a member of an association like the BBKA to let you keep bees on an allotment.

Not had one either.

Has any one received a 2014/15 membership card yet? I cant remember what month they send them out
Last few years year it has been a press out section of the address sheet with the BBKA News mailing, easily missed if you normally bin cover sheets without looking. It was noticed that the underprinting for the 2013/14 card actually still had 2012/13. A letter was issued "to whom it may concern" dated 28th May. So the cards probably went out with the May Newsletter. I wouldn't expect it before then.

Not had mine yet.
The BBKA informed me that my membership runs from June to June which is when I joined via my local BKA. This month I have not received my beekeeping mag neither. I emailed them about a late arriving mag earlier in the year and the BBKA could not even be bothered to reply to my email, All in all I am not that impressed with the BBKA so far.

From memory May. Hope they manage to proof read & get the right year this time.

Yes as I'm looking at getting an allotment for bees, but the council requires proof of being a member of an association like the BBKA to let you keep bees on an allotment.

Not had one either.

Get your local association to write a short note confirming that you're a member (and hence also a BBKA member).

They are now sending the issuance certificate via email, which is handy, as I don't have to scan it in now.

If your BKA does the same as mine, you'll have an insurance certificate and proof of joining the local association. That should be good enough.

Not had mine yet.
The BBKA informed me that my membership runs from June to June which is when I joined via my local BKA. This month I have not received my beekeeping mag neither. I emailed them about a late arriving mag earlier in the year and the BBKA could not even be bothered to reply to my email, All in all I am not that impressed with the BBKA so far.

Actually, the membership (through member associations, at least) is based on the calendar year. (Subs are due around New Year.) /// This is the case for the majority of Associations that I have encountered.
But the cards certainly don't go out at the start of the start of the membership period …

/// ADDED
The constitution actually says
8.2 The capitation sums specified in Clause 8.1 above shall fall due on one of two dates each year.
8.2.1 The primary date shall be 1st April and payment shall be made before 30th April and will cover all those Registered, Partner, Country and Junior Members who have been or become members during the period from the start of the BBKA Financial Year, i.e. 1st October preceding.
8.2.2 The secondary date shall be 1st September for those who become members after the primary date and up to and including the secondary date. Payment shall be made before 30th September.
8.2.3 No capitation shall be due for registrations made after the secondary date, but shall be payable for the subsequent membership year as per Clause8.2.1 above.
I think most Associations want to get people paid up before April so they can send on the BBKA 'capitation' fees. Note that there is a similar Spring deadline for the BDI (compensation insurance).
Since the money (and membership roll) doesn't have to be with the BBKA before the end of April, they wouldn't start the process of printing and distributing the membership cards before about now.

Individual BBKA membership seems to be 12 months from October.

I think that anyone believing their membership runs from June to June would be best advised to check carefully with their local BKA (not the BBKA), as it is quite probable that their membership may well have lapsed and that they might NOT be on the membership roll being submitted this month to the BBKA.

Last edited:
They are now sending the issuance certificate via email, which is handy, as I don't have to scan it in now.

are you sure its not BDI certifiacte aND THAT IT its your treasuere or membership secretary sending out the insurance BDI certificate via the eBDI web site

the BDI is not the third party BBKA inurance certificate that one is in one the meebers area of the BBKA web site and is not anything to do with BDI which is seperate from the BBKA

one of our county districts is opted out of BDI but still in the BBKA for BBKA third party insurance

Last edited:
I am told membership cards will go out with the June newsletter.

BBKA membership runs from 1st April to 31st March. Local associations have a different membership year to enable them to get the subscriptions sorted out so that they can get the membership right before BBKA invoice them.

Latest posts

Back