Bait Box... Tyre kickers or seriously interested punters?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Bait Hive on shed roof; last week attracted some interest. I use it as a warning system of bees becoming restless in the apiary. However, since then, there has been about 30 or so bees at the entrance, engaged in cleaning and clearing out a Lemon Grass paper strip. Not much flying or other activity, simply hanging about. Question: if these are not genuine ‘scouts’ (tyre kickers) will they put off serious house hunters?

Bait Hive on shed roof; last week attracted some interest. I use it as a warning system of bees becoming restless in the apiary. However, since then, there has been about 30 or so bees at the entrance, engaged in cleaning and clearing out a Lemon Grass paper strip. Not much flying or other activity, simply hanging about. Question: if these are not genuine ‘scouts’ (tyre kickers) will they put off serious house hunters?
Normally scouts are in and out and constantly flying and landing. Occasionally, if a swarm arrives at the bait hive but then changes their mind and moves on then there are stragglers left behind. They tend to behave the way you’re describing, just crawling lethargically around the entrance. They usually disappear over about a week. I sometimes wonder if they would deter other ‘serious’ scouts.

I’ve no idea if this could be what has happened in your situation though…

Latest posts

Back