Swarming.... some thoughts.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use this tip after losing a lovely big prime swarm last year 1 day after hiving it. However I read that you should remove it after 3 days and that is what I do, generally I believe once the bees start to build comb they settle down and accept the new hive as their home.

Also I should point out that I had no drawn comb or strong colonies to donate a frame of brood from so they were having to be hived straight onto fresh foundation!

At least this year I have a frame or 2 of drawn comb for them to use in each new hive.

I have always used foundation only to hive any swarm i take and so far they have all stayed. I'm not saying that is the reason why just my observation and the way i have always done it.

Picked up one of the biggest swarms i have seen for a long time on Wednesday, nearly filled the brood box i ran them into. Wish i had taken a photo now. Checked yesterday and they are looking fine.

I have always used foundation only to hive any swarm i take and so far they have all stayed. I'm not saying that is the reason why just my observation and the way i have always done it.

Picked up one of the biggest swarms i have seen for a long time on Wednesday, nearly filled the brood box i ran them into. Wish i had taken a photo now. Checked yesterday and they are looking fine.

You could be right, I just know that the swarm I hived left after a day and since then I stick a QE under the BB for 3 days and haven't lost a swarm since.

Also I have seen / heard donating a frame of brood from an existing colony helps to keep a swarm in a new hive but haven't tried that and tbh if I don't need to I prefer not to take a frame from my honey producers :)

Fact is 10-20% of swarms abscond - just get used to it and accept it, in reality bees that are so flighty are best lost anyway

QE stops nothing and just causes stress, I have seen swarms stay in a hive for 2 weeks and then still leave so are you going to keep QE on forever?

Had one this week that got placed in a hive and then all flew back out within seconds, over the next 2 hours 10,000 bees then joined another colony next to the original box - bizarre.

JD

to answer the question then. I see an egg in a cup and think keep an eye on this one.

If it turns into a larvae the next day as per the postulation, then by the time i reinspect in 8 days time they will either be on the point of swarming, and I AS or they will have tried to swarm and will have no queen (lost in the attempt as clipped) and I will deal with that situation.

In what ever event I have not lost the swarm.

PH

Only thing I'd add at the moment is that it is full on swarm "season" round this neck of the woods. I did a first inspection on one of my colonies last week and they'd already swarmed about a week previous (10th of April or so). We've picked up two swarms in the last 72 hours and generally everything is about a month ahead of last year. I think this spring has taken a lot of people by surprise.

It doesn't seem to be full on here yet as I have not even had a phone call yet for bumbles let alone a swarm.

However I agree the weather is out of season for sure, 24 here today.

PH

had 4 calls r.e. swarms ( I'm one of local swarm contacts), much earlier than last yr.

to answer the question then. I see an egg in a cup and think keep an eye on this one.

If it turns into a larvae the next day as per the postulation, then by the time i reinspect in 8 days time they will either be on the point of swarming, and I AS or they will have tried to swarm and will have no queen (lost in the attempt as clipped) and I will deal with that situation.

In what ever event I have not lost the swarm.

PH

Thanks PH.

And if one didn't have a clipped queen....then you would advise inspecting a colony when after seeing an egg in QCup?

And if one didn't have a clipped queen....then you would advise inspecting a colony when after seeing an egg in QCup?

An egg in a cup then not to worry,lots of eggs in cups, and you cannot tell the age of the eggs,then four to five days....if you can tell the age of the egg,then longer perhaps,day one egg vertical,day two slight lean,day three lying on side.

Thanks hivemaker.

I thought as much but just wanted to hear it from the pros.:patriot:

Interesting observations on the egg orientation as well.

Latest posts

Back