Bait Hive experiment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I always leave spare hives out throughout the season so that any swarms can move in. I consider this a service to the local community because I hope a swarm will move into a bait hive in preference to someones chimney.

For the past 4 years swarms have arrived in my apiary which have not come from any of my colonies. My suspicion is they come from a community (natural) farm about a mile away.
I was quite surprised that twice these swarms have chosen the larger Dadant hives for their new home but each time these have been large swarms.

This year I decided to experiment to see what hive type a swarm might find most attractive. I put out 5 different brood box hives, all with old comb and a couple of drops of lemon grass oil:

Two standard wooden Nationals, one OMF, one solid floor.
Two Langstroth One OMF, one solid floor
One Dadant with solid floor.

Towards the end of the earlier hot spell there were a lot of scout bees. Most were looking around the Dadant hive but no swarm. I did not see any scouts during the following spell of colder weather.
Last week scouts were back and it seemed most were interested in the Dadant hive and the Langstroth with solid floor.
On Friday a swarm arrived and moved into the solid floor Langstroth.

This is obviously not a scientific experiment but my current thoughts based on this and previous experience are:
1. Solid floors are preferred to OMF.
2. The size of the swarm may affect the choice of home.
3. The advice that a standard National Brood box is best for attracting swarms may not be correct.

I wonder why swarms seem so keen on chimneys, which meet almost none of Seeley's recommendations, and sometimes seem to prefer them to local bait hives.

I wonder why swarms seem so keen on chimneys, which meet almost none of Seeley's recommendations, and sometimes seem to prefer them to local bait hives.

Could it be that the typical UK bait hive (National) does not offer sufficient room for colony expansion whereas a chimney does?

Could it be that the typical UK bait hive (National) does not offer sufficient room for colony expansion whereas a chimney does?

The typical bait national broods worked rather well for me and am sure others will be along to tell of swarms in nucs and the like, I’ve started making purpose made boxes now out of 8x2 timbers I give them a double depth plus about 4” at the bottom and fronted/topped with any ply off cuts. The whole is level with bottom of the five frames hanging from top. Works a treat and they don’t give a monkeys how thick any of the ply sides are. If your going to bother putting bait hives out then I work on the principle of do the best you can to make it as appealing as possible. You rarely go fishing without bait on the hook....Ian

Last edited:
The typical bait national broods worked rather well for me and am sure others will be along to tell of swarms in nucs and the like, I’ve started making purpose made boxes now out of 8x2 timbers I give them a double depth plus about 4” at the bottom and fronted/topped with any ply off cuts. The whole is level with bottom of the five frames hanging from top. Works a treat and they don’t give a monkeys how thick any of the ply sides are. If your going to bother putting bait hives out then I work on the principle of do the best you can to make it as appealing as possible. You rarely go fishing without bait on the hook....Ian

I make light weight bait hives which are easy to hang on trees etc. They range in size from about 25 litres to 50 litres and have picked up small swarms in the big ones and large swarms that completely filled the 25 litre ones. I think it completely depends on the availability of suitable sites in the area.

I make light weight bait hives which are easy to hang on trees etc. They range in size from about 25 litres to 50 litres and have picked up small swarms in the big ones and large swarms that completely filled the 25 litre ones. I think it completely depends on the availability of suitable sites in the area.

Can I ask what you make them with?

Can I ask what you make them with?

I make them from cedar. 18mm ends and 10mm sides and floor, glued and nailed.
I don't have a decent picture but here are some scouts investigating one.

Attachments

• IMG_12723.jpg
    IMG_12723.jpg
    739.6 KB · Views: 30
Back