Bad places to get stung

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always have to take my wedding ring off, after my hands swelled up from a sting. Every sting I get swells up, and the site goes a little septic, unless I slather it with Germolene. Maybe my bees are particularly stinky.

I got one on the left bicep which swelled up in a very impressive fashion. I was contemplating getting a matching one on the right arm, then having some photos taken, but the bruising and discolouration would have spoiled the effect.

After being stung in the septum (between nostrils) I looked this up.

10/10!

Eyes watering, uncontrollable sneezing. . . . WOW.

However very little swelling.

Yep! been tagged there twice now! the pain is bad but it's the sneezing fit that follows and the watery eyes!

Included in my list are the ears, chest, neck, Head, legs, arms and obviously hands and fingers.

My reactions are on average reducing as are the number of times I get stung, both due to better bee suits and also better natured bees.

some increased attitude is normal about now though due to the end of the OSR flow.

Have been done on the eyebrow before, which luckily didn't swell too much as I got the barb out ASAP.

Got done (through jeans!) on the inside thigh once - red itchyness all over both upper legs, groin, lower stomach but oddly no swelling.

Sometimes they just hit a sweetspot and the swelling goes mad - forearm often. Others it's sometimes not much worse than a nettle sting.

Kneeling down cutting away the undergrowth from around the hives while holding the smoker I noticed a bee on my boot on looking again I saw it must have flown away. All of a sudden I felt a tickle just above my ankle and got my 1st sting. Reacting like a baby I forgot I had hold of the smoker which started to burn through my rubber glove, the smoker went into the air as I howled some more, now with some burnt fingers the initial sting didn't seem as bad.

I was followed recently by a bee from a hive I am actively requeening because of its attitude.
I walked about 50 yards and seemed to have got rid of it. I removed my hood only to hear it approaching. Then as I looked up to see where it was this black dot went head long for my face and stung me straight between the eyes.
Luckily I don't react but it gave me quite a shock!!!

Once on an amble around the apiary a bee flew into my face (pure accident) in my surprise I snorted the bee inside my nose. I can concur with the pain and eye watering, thankfully no sneezing fit though.

Usually it’s the hands/arms for me. But I keep a mirror in my shed in case I do get stung and can’t locate the barb. Being able to get it out quicker with the mirrors help might reduce the stings impact. That’s my thinking anyway.

I was atop of my shed last year, attending to the roofing sheets. I must have been in the flight path of a bee. While minding my own business, I got stung back of the neck. My shed is roughly 25-30 metres away from the apiary.

The odd bee would follow me back to the shed. But they tend not to come inside. I assume they don’t enter as that would put the sun out of their sight, which they need for direction?

Latest posts

Back