Auction site?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
I thought to experiment and sell a nuc via the auction site at the bottom of the home page.

No interest.

Now I wonder if that is because few are aware of it or because there is now no interest in nucs?

PH

Last edited:
i just thought it was a banner advert for some site. didnt bother to look b4 had a quick look and thought is was ok will look again sometime.

i do think it will stuggle against other well known auction sites (eblah) and the association auctions where you can see the goods before paying for them.

I think it would do better if it was at the top.
Most of the time I forget about it and don't see it when I log on.

LOL @ the banner advert... ain't anyone noticed there are NO adverts on this site?

PH

Sites often need a certain membership to become sustainable. The site at the bottom doesn't seem to have much activity so chances are people look once and then don't see what they need at that time so don't return soon. We probably have enough members on here to make it more active if everyone wanted to - is it related to the forum? I made some bad or accidental purchases, or got things as part of a deal which were not suited to my needs so I could offer some things and if there are others in a similar position then a burst of activity could make a difference. I expect others would prefer to go to more popular sites to offer items, though, as a larger audience could mean a higher final price.

Tricia

It was at the top once.

The nuc should have gone well especially as ph only has praise for his nucs and perhaps a shout out when first listed may have helped or did I miss that.

I agree Tricia but the most popular auction site will not allow livestock.

We can sell bees here.

I should rephrase that, we can offer bees for sale here, they may not sell... LOL

PH

just looked at the bee suit on the site. the price is more than what they charge on their own site for the same product.

that wont help make people go back to it.

I dont think many members are aware that Nucs can be sold on the auction site.

I am thinking of sending an email to all members to inform them.
Only problem is it could be considere spam.
I have not used the facility to email all members before.

I know I dont like getting emails from forums I join..

I dont think many members are aware that Nucs can be sold on the auction site.

I am thinking of sending an email to all members to inform them.
Only problem is it could be considere spam.
I have not used the facility to email all members before.

I know I dont like getting emails from forums I join..

I've never minded a polite email as long as it's not every damn day offering something I don't want or need or must have. :hurray:

just looked at the bee suit on the site. the price is more than what they charge on their own site for the same product.

that wont help make people go back to it.

dpearce4,

The suit on the forum site is more expensive than the price you see on the website is becuase the website price has yet to have VAT added.

Regrads,
Rourkie

Seen the link, never really considered using it. Auction sites need a depth (i.e. ebay) to make them viable. If I was looking for nucs, I'd look in the "nucs for sale" section on the main forum.

Rourkie - you need to specify the postage in your auctions. If I am buying online, I want to be able to click on a button, know what it will cost and have it delivered. I don't want to enter into a discussion about postage. So Hive £160....postage to mainland UK £15.

At the moment I look at the auctions, and just wonder how much will be added on for shipping.

LOL in my case nothing as it is buyer collect. Mind please note I prefer buyers to a, bring a hive, and b, have at least a veil with them so I can show them the bees before they give me money.

I feel much happier knowing the buyer has had the chance to inspect and see the queen.

Forbye all there is no point in mentioning a well know auction site as they specifically do not sell livestock.

Here does.

PH

There is still a demand for nucs. We have members who still haven't managed to replace their Winter losses. I guess Admin could set up a system of alerts so that if a nyuc came up for sale on the Auction site, persons looking for one could get an e-mail.

I will try again then....

Auction now in progress. You have a week.... unless the "Buy it now" is exercised.

Good luck and I look forward to meeting you. :)

PH

Last edited:
i too thought it was an add banner.. something to help cover the costs of the forum, which i generally ignore without thinking about it.. sorry.... perhaps changing the tab to Our Auction site, or beekeepingforums aution or somethign similar so that it isn't mistaken.. having said that i hadn't noticed it said free even, doh

i think to start of anythign like this takes time and volume/effort on behalf of sellers to reach critical mass and then it will run on of its own accord.

maybe having a stickie in forsale section saying it is there, or even requesting that when people start a thread they must also an auction linked from the forsale wanted section to buy it now for the price they want. it would make it easier to see what has and hasn't been sold without having to read the whole thread of questions etc, just click on link to aution site and if it's sold you don't need to read further.

and maybe allowing the wanted adds on the auction site too?

why not direct all traffic from the for sale or wanted section of the forum to the auction site ? I dont see the point of having 2 for sale sections , just my thoughts on the matter.

Because there are two ways of selling.

For sale.

For sale by auction.

Or am I missing something very simple?

PH

Latest posts

Back