Asian Hornets...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that the only viable option that does not affect other species is the release of genetically modified velutin drones to make their offspring sterile.
Viable? If you are going to sit in an arm chair it might serve you better to watch sitcoms. That way you can have a genuine laugh.

A "gene drive" causing sterility could be a potential solution to several invasive species. Whether it would ever be feasible to create one for a social insect I have no idea.
It would also have the potential risk of spreading back to the original habitats where they belong and wiping out the species.
Google "gene drive" and be prepared for some concentrated learning on genetics.

A succesful gene drive to eliminate the asian hornet might be an option if the numbers of injuries or fatalities increases to a level where normal day to day living becomes risky.
Ie for example forestry workers, farmers even gardeners or beekeepers.

It is a non native species after all.

There is a gene drive underway in South America to try to control the Asian tiger mosquito (non native to south america), a vector for some of the most dangerous viruses that exist, one being Dengue Fever. I contracted this some years ago and it was truely awful and to be completely honest I've never been the same since, health wise.
So given my experience with Dengue, I'd be in favour of a gene drive to control asian hornets.

Last edited:
Jet stream raining hornets as well as cats and dogs 😉
As cats and dogs didn't become naturalised here via rainclouds blowing conveniently in, I doubt Asian Hornets will either.

The overwhelming likelihood in the recent steep rise in nests in Kent is from one or more undiscovered nests last autumn.

Nobody's claiming the Kent Downs are exactly a Sumatran forest but certain areas within the Downs are so heavily wooded that a local proliferation of nests could easily remain undetected until the next season.

A "gene drive" causing sterility could be a potential solution to several invasive species. Whether it would ever be feasible to create one for a social insect I have no idea.
It would also have the potential risk of spreading back to the original habitats where they belong and wiping out the species.
Google "gene drive" and be prepared for some concentrated learning on genetics.
The starting point has to be an understanding of target biology. There's a world of difference between mosquitos and Velutina. Such an approach is simply not viable in eusocial wasps and was abandonned in the antipodes as a means of controlling vulgaris and germanica infestations very early on.

The starting point has to be an understanding of target biology. There's a world of difference between mosquitos and Velutina. Such an approach is simply not viable in eusocial wasps and was abandonned in the antipodes as a means of controlling vulgaris and germanica infestations very early on.
Do you know what the reason was. I can imagine doing crispr manipulation on eggs is nigh on impossible!
But then I'd think the same for mosquitoes!

I believe that the only viable option that does not affect other species is the release of genetically modified velutin drones to make their offspring sterile.
so now we've moved from cloud cuckoo to Lala land

The overwhelming likelihood in the recent steep rise in nests in Kent is from one or more undiscovered nests last autumn.
or, as I've found out today, people not reading or understanding the data eg conflating every sighting being an individual nest not, as is the truth multiple sighting being connected to a single nest

or, as I've found out today, people not reading or understanding the data eg conflating every sighting being an individual nest not, as is the truth multiple sighting being connected to a single nest
the nbu and uk government page list 10 nest removals. So whenever you want we are willing to listen to your hypothesis about its formation.

I have not changed anything simply that I try to find solutions to the problem that humans have created with the globalization of trade. Solutions such as electric harps, traps or poison baits are not selective and affect other species so they are a transitional solution while gene drives are long-term solutions that require research. Denial as a vital form leads nowhere.
so now we've moved from cloud cuckoo to Lala land

With greater knowledge comes greater responsiblity..more is the chance of corruption. May seem a bit like when we had LP s and CDs were said to be better. Keep things simple. The greater you push the dendulum ....
What can be done now, with what we know and have?

Do you know what the reason was. I can imagine doing crispr manipulation on eggs is nigh on impossible!
But then I'd think the same for mosquitoes!
So let's start from the beginning.

A Velutina nest when it matures will generate a few thousand sexuals. Each new queen will mate several times. How many millions of engineered sexuals would have to be produced to inhibit the R number given that typically only one queen from a nest survives at equilibrium to bring on a next generation viable nest? You'd have to start raising in captivity with zero release hundreds of thousands of nests. Sound like a Wuhan moment by any chance? Not that anyone has successfully raised any nests in captivity. Believe me I've tried with vulgaris for research purposes and had zero joy. I imagine it'd be a hundred times more difficult with Velutina as it's a more vigorous insect requiring a greater range to sustain itself.

I have not changed anything simply that I try to find solutions to the problem that humans have created with the globalization of trade. Solutions such as electric harps, traps or poison baits are not selective and affect other species so they are a transitional solution while gene drives are long-term solutions that require research. Denial as a vital form leads nowhere.
Rubbish. It's not denial. Why waste energy pursuing delusional strategies that won't work because they don't understand the biology of the target in the first place. There's a perfectly selective strategy that's already available to be used which is low cost and relatively low risk. It just requires collective co-ordinated effort. Mais c'est la vie!

Rubbish. It's not denial. Why waste energy pursuing delusional strategies that won't work because they don't understand the biology of the target in the first place. There's a perfectly selective strategy that's already available to be used which is low cost and relatively low risk. It just requires collective co-ordinated effort. Mais c'est la vie!
This is precisely what I was trying to call for in my earlier post. A collective co-ordinated effort to fight back against this invader. It requires commitment from the NBU, BBKA, beekeepers in general, and the general public. The government and civil service need a kick up the a***e from us all.
From my understanding control in Jersey is just that, it is not eradication. We need a system where we target poison the nests. The 'poison custard' seems to be a sensible suggeation. If it is legal to release captured VV to track back to nests electronically then a system of release and poison would not be too difficult to set up and liscence.

legal to release captured VV to track back to nests electronically
Only by DEFRA or NBU operatives; prison for the rest of us.

Change in the law regarding release & the use of Fipronil custard would be more likely if senior DEFRA decision-makers had a significant change of strategy in the light of the nest increase. Don't hold your breath.

B. That the UK climate is not suitable for an expansion of the velutin in the same order as that which has occurred in France or in the Northwest of Spain.
Why do you think that? It lives in a climate that has wide temperature differences. I can’t see why it can’t survive as well here as it does in France - it’s not meant to be a confrontational answer, I’m curious.

Last edited:
Question about bio engineering.
Who has done it succesfully and with what and why, excluding crops etc.
I dont feel any trust in really dodgy bio corporations. What about simple down to earth humans making a decent plan and implementing it. Just waiting for the corporate state to sort it is foolish and lazy.
We all need to get on our own two feet and sort this. The state is to busy enriching itself to give a damn about the plebs

It will be interesting to see how our American friends react when they have yellow legged Hornets visiting the almond orchards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back