"Asian Hornet" seen in Cornwall

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they should package up individuals from destroyed nests and send out the samples to all area associations to display if they have not already done so. it may encourage a few to get out and check any wasp traps

I think they should package up individuals from destroyed nests and send out the samples to all area associations to display if they have not already done so. it may encourage a few to get out and check any wasp traps

:iagree:

... and two more at Liskeard

I think somebody has misinterpreted the NBU press release - I think it would have been more accurate to say "Two separate sightings of Asian hornet have been confirmed; one in Liskeard and one in Hull and surveillance activity is underway."

Certainly, only one has been found in Liskeard and that, it turns out, was a male Asian Hornet, which apparently have a larger range than the females. It could be an outlier from Fowey or transported from Fowey to Looe in a fishing boat - who knows?

CVB

I think somebody has misinterpreted the NBU press release - I think it would have been more accurate to say "Two separate sightings of Asian hornet have been confirmed; one in Liskeard and one in Hull and surveillance activity is underway."

Certainly, only one has been found in Liskeard and that, it turns out, was a male Asian Hornet, which apparently have a larger range than the females. It could be an outlier from Fowey or transported from Fowey to Looe in a fishing boat - who knows?

CVB

The hull hornet was in a house and the family had just returned in their car from france so most likley a stowaway

It was a BBKA tweet - par for the course for them really :rolleyes:

The BBKA repeated pretty much what the NBU Bulletin had said with its implicit possibility for misinterpretation. What's disappointing is the failure of the BBKA to contact its local association to get the word "from the horse's mouth" rather than an adulterated version from the APHA press office. The AHAT Group contacts are published also - what's so difficult?

CVB

The BBKA repeated pretty much what the NBU Bulletin had said with its implicit possibility for misinterpretation. What's disappointing is the failure of the BBKA to contact its local association to get the word "from the horse's mouth" rather than an adulterated version from the APHA press office. The AHAT Group contacts are published also - what's so difficult?

CVB

They mangled it a bit more -
DEFRA has confirmed to more Asian hornets have been found in Liskeard and Hull....

CVB

It could also be a stow away from France quite distinct from the Fowey nest as males are produced early by VV in France:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...FjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw0HtYJc4pCh40rGPltbHSxd

AH is now being seen all over the Cornish Peninsular... on RADIO CORNWALL breakfast program this morning presenter said he had a swarm of them in his conservatory... hornets with black bottoms..... that should keep Dad's Army very busy!

( Should someone contact him???)

Yeghes da

AH is now being seen all over the Cornish Peninsular... on RADIO CORNWALL breakfast program this morning presenter said he had a swarm of them in his conservatory... hornets with black bottoms..... that should keep Dad's Army very busy!

Yeghes da

This is a little story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody, and Nobody.

There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it.

Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it.

Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job.

Everybody thought that Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn't do it.

It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

Just a thought

CVB

The report in the Hull newspaper talks of sightings in Hessle and Patrington so has there been more than one confirmed sighting there?

The hull hornet was in a house and the family had just returned in their car from france so most likley a stowaway

The sub-headline in the piece in the local newspaper says "The Government says Asian hornet nests have been found in the city".

I'm not sure that this is correct based on MM's post. It was possibly the result of the sloppily written press release by BNU/APHA/DEFRA.

Has a nest been found in Hull?

CVB

The Hull Daily Mail article mentions 'Giant' hornets and people killed in Japan. Neither of which relate to the Asian Hornet. And te second photo is a native hornet. Still some work required on informing our media.

Met a guy exterminating a native hornet nest in a house roof yesterday. He thought initially they were "Malaysian hornets" but he had a newspaper cutting in his wallet and managed to convince him that they didn't have yellow legs, etc.

Hull is a bit close for me.

. . . Ben

This is a little story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody, and Nobody.

There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it.

Everybody thought that Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn't do it.

It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

Just a thought

CVB

Love that!

Just a thought

CVB

And if it was on Eastenders Someone would shout "Somebody do Somefink!"

Yeghes da

Phoned them... aid said he had gone home:icon_204-2:
Kernow bys vikken!
Mytten da

Does anyone know what the density of nests is in France per square km? I know bees naturally space themselves out so they don't over compete with each other, do hornets do the same thing?

I'm thinking about this in the context of the trap and release method if killing nests.

Latest posts

Back