Asian Hornet Alderney confirmed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Assuming that the clay bonsai pots were supplied from the same manufacturer following the same processes and same storage/distribution arrangements then it would be reasonable to assume that more than one queen was imported on more than one occasion. This would still be consistent with a low level of allele diversity.

Thin ice here.

It wont work, 100% wont work, the advice here is similar, close down entrances, from my experience the VV will not enter a hive, ok maybe a weak one. They hover outside and grab a bee trying to get in or out. Anything that slows down a bee entering or exiting a hive will only help them. I'll try and find a pic.
Yes, I wondered about it which is why I asked here. Thanks.
BTW, won't closing the entrance cause a queue of bees in line for Vespa munching?

Yes, I wondered about it which is why I asked here. Thanks.
BTW, won't closing the entrance cause a queue of bees in line for Vespa munching?

No problem, unfortunately I have some experience in these monsters. Yes closing the entrance makes an easy lunch, its the advice here to fit mouseguards, I just dont get that. If I let the grass grow too long it helped the VV attack, anything that slows a quick escape. Still no sightings around my hives yet......
The only thing I've seen so bold as to enter a strong hive is the european hornet.

No problem, unfortunately I have some experience in these monsters. Yes closing the entrance makes an easy lunch, its the advice here to fit mouseguards, I just dont get that. If I let the grass grow too long it helped the VV attack, anything that slows a quick escape.

The second half of this APHA NBU video shows the bees clustering at the entrance, as if they don't want to leave the safety of the hive whilst the hornets are around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qg92SKw31Y

The second half of this APHA NBU video shows the bees clustering at the entrance, as if they don't want to leave the safety of the hive whilst the hornets are around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qg92SKw31Y

I love the start of the video, the second half is typical, do you know where it was filmed? Last year I had around 5-10 hornets per hive. Yes, production is reduced massively when hornets are around, it reminds me of clips of WW1, sending troops over the trenches. The cluster welcomes the bees back, sometimes a hornet grabs one and the rest of the cluster pulls the bee back in. Horrible horrible things.

I love the start of the video, the second half is typical, do you know where it was filmed?

I don't know about the second half, but it says this about the trap so it might have been the same place, "This video shows a home-made Asian Hornet trap in a magnolia bush in an apiary in Andernos-les-Bains, South West France. "

I don't know about the second half, but it says this about the trap so it might have been the same place, "This video shows a home-made Asian Hornet trap in a magnolia bush in an apiary in Andernos-les-Bains, South West France. "

Sorry I didnt read that, tough day! Yes I think they have just about controlled them in France and an excellent team, drones etc. I think if they manage it will be the first controlled invasive species in history to be eradicated. I quote my pal in the environment agency.

I understand they're a bit proactive too, and wait for the secondary nests to be built near an apiary, then move the colonies so they're out of reach. Do you do that?

I understand they're a bit proactive too, and wait for the secondary nests to be built near an apiary, then move the colonies so they're out of reach. Do you do that?

I didnt know about secondary nests, I havent heard of them, I would certainly consider that although last year for example a small town of around 10000 people had 500 hornets nests to deal with in a 5k area. I dont know the hornets flight range but I suspect I couldnt get the colonies out of range.

I understood that the queens tend to build a starter nest and, once there is a big enough supply of workers and they find a reliable food source (i.e. bees), there is a new and bigger nest built near the food. This larger nest cannot be moved again so, as long as there isn't a nest in the new apiary location the bees are less at risk and the hornets need to hunt for other food sources.

Of course this could be a myth or I could have got it completely wrong. Richard Noel aka "Plenty of honey" would know for sure http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=35409

I understood that the queens tend to build a starter nest and, once there is a big enough supply of workers and they find a reliable food source (i.e. bees), there is a new and bigger nest built near the food. This larger nest cannot be moved again so, as long as there isn't a nest in the new apiary location the bees are less at risk and the hornets need to hunt for other food sources.

Of course this could be a myth or I could have got it completely wrong. Richard Noel aka "Plenty of honey" would know for sure http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=35409

Good thread thanks. I'll have to look into the secondary nest. I have a huge nest about 50 ft up an oak tree around 100m from one of my apiaries reported it in early 2015, glad I didnt tackle it myself after reading the link.

I was informed by someone who used to work at the NBU unit at Sand Hutton who is/was part of the early response unit for any mainland UK sightings/nests, so I presumed he knew what he was talking about. If the hornets find what they think will be a suitable prey, such as a beehive, a "bivouac" nest is built for some of the hornets. Their strategy is to deploy a few "hawkers" who pick off the occasional bee. Their preying actions tend to prevent the bees from foraging properly and keeps them confined in the hive so they use up their stores and become too weak to defend themselves further. Once too weak they all move in and eat the lot. A long term war of attrition.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back