"Asian Hornet" seen in Cornwall

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in the Somerset levels, supposed to be the wetlands that grows willow. We have had three days with a little rain ....... since April!
Our ground is rock hard and cracked, our grass is dead, trees are struggling.
Once again we are surrounded by hills that get all the rain, it's gone by the time it reaches us!
E

I live in the Somerset levels, supposed to be the wetlands that grows willow. We have had three days with a little rain ....... since April!
Our ground is rock hard and cracked, our grass is dead, trees are struggling.
Once again we are surrounded by hills that get all the rain, it's gone by the time it reaches us!
E

Ah but this year has been exceptional
Not long since The Levels were flooded.

I have followed this thread carefully, until that, is the discussion of the micro-climates of South West England and the Ancient state of Kernow took over.
I really want to know about the second VV found in the trap near Liskard. Has it been assumed that this was a marathon flier from the same nest as the Fowey specimen? Are the 2 sites sufficiently close or are the NBU extending their 'holiday' in Cornwall now that most holiday makers have returned?

I have followed this thread carefully, until that, is the discussion of the micro-climates of South West England and the Ancient state of Kernow took over.
I really want to know about the second VV found in the trap near Liskard. Has it been assumed that this was a marathon flier from the same nest as the Fowey specimen? Are the 2 sites sufficiently close or are the NBU extending their 'holiday' in Cornwall now that most holiday makers have returned?

The NBU at our forum said the VV usually forage within one km of their nest and liskeard to fowey is more than that

Nothing is being said at the moment as adverse headlines in newspapers are not conducive to efficient AH control at this time.

You spotted the thread drift too did you?

As it stands at the moment, local beekeepers are monitoring the hives while the SBIs are out, checking their traps which are placed on a slowly increasing radius. So far, nothing found by either group.

If nothing is found in the traps, at some point I suppose the NBU will conclude that it was an outlier from Fowey that had hitched a lift to get the 15 miles from Fowey to Liskeard. This may be confirmed by DNA analysis but I don't know how certain this is just from DNA.

I do not know how long the inspectors will continue with their monitoring but our volunteer band is slowly dwindling as time goes by - there's a limit to how many days your spouse will put up with chores not being done. Today, I had a break and cut the grass, cleaned the car etc.. Back there tomorrow if swmbo says it's ok.

I know you wrote rather tongue in cheek about the holiday in Cornwall for the SBIs but I've seen of lot of dedicated people working very hard. Think what you like about the 'suits' in London but the 'bee suits' in Cornwall have nothing but my admiration.

CVB

I know you wrote rather tongue in cheek about the holiday in Cornwall for the SBIs but I've seen of lot of dedicated people working very hard. Think what you like about the 'suits' in London but the 'bee suits' in Cornwall have nothing but my admiration.

CVB

And while they are stuck down there, they cannot look after their own bees back home.

And while they are stuck down there, they cannot look after their own bees back home.

That goes for the LOCAL SBIs too!

What we do not want is the rapid spread as with the noxious non native Tree Bumble (?Bombus hypnorum) first noted in Swindon in 2002.. now spread across most of the UK.
Keep monitoring those traps!

Yeghes da

The holiday was a tongue in cheek comment. I am very appreciative of the work of the NBU and volunteers.
I must add, however, SWMBO would be quite pleased to get rid of me for 10+ days. With little to do in the apiary, no grass growing as the drought here continues, the house has been painted and the allotment is like a rock desert I am twiddling my thumbs.
Hey Ho! I am off to Lords tomorrow to watch Middlesex

That goes for the LOCAL SBIs too!

What we do not want is the rapid spread as with the noxious non native Tree Bumble (?Bombus hypnorum) first noted in Swindon in 2002.. now spread across most of the UK.
Keep monitoring those traps!

Yeghes da

Bombus hypnorum, noxious ? Seriously?

Yes I am afraid it it. There is a press release on gov.uk confirming it.

I have just been reading it..it is not so bad for my bees in Northumberland but all the folk down sarf need to start taking action if they have managed to get as far up North as Hull..

Back