Asian Hornet - Brittany France

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 hives, 2 nucs
Checked my traps this morning and found my first Asian hornet, think it may be a queen, the other queen is a European hornet. Didn't think they were in north Brittany yet.....extra traps out from today :(

Last edited:
Checked my traps this morning and found my first Asian hornet, think it may be a queen, the other queen is a European hornet. Didn't think they were in north Brittany yet.....extra traps out from today :(

Oh dear .... just a hop across the channel to my neck of the woods now then ...60 miles with a following South Westerly ...surely they would not do that trip out of choice ? Problem here is car ferries - several each day - to and from Cherbourg mainly.

Trap as many as you can please ... save us a job later !!

Been using the traps for a few years now, they have a liquid we use that the Asian hornets like, but the first I have caught in the traps, so I know they are around now :(

:( Just a strong breeze away!

I heard they'd reached the Cherbourg Peninsular last year, do you know if it's true?

asian Hornet is the lead item on Yahoo news -does not reference any recent finds

Asian Hornets in small numbers have been as far as the channel for 2 or 3 years now.

Where I am I have had them since 2006 and have yet to be concerned.

Yesterday when dealing with swarms in my apiary I saw several Queens "floating" around and if I wasn't so busy dealing with my swarms I'd spend a few hours getting them with my plastic tennis rackets.

Rather like varroa I suspect the danger may be more than a tad exaggerated.

One or two hive owners may be more at risk.

Chris

Back