Are your bees snowed in?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny - my brother (a keen rally navigator) married a Finnish girl and moved to Finland...his first job? Teaching Finns how to drive in the snow!!

Love the hog. excellent idea. Wakefield today bright all day but tonight started snowing heavy again.

A bit more than an inch up here in northumberland and -7c today tucked up and ok i hope!

You lot who like snow must be mad! OK if you don't have to drive in it I suppose - no work tomorrow so might be making a snowman. Now - where did I put that carrot......................

Took 2 and a half hours to drive a normally 40 minute journey into Norwich yesterday. Still love the stuff....

Cazza

woke up to lots of snow in Wakefield today, well a couple of inches anyway

Snow has arrived in North Kent, and hasn't stopped so far!snow day at home!

About 3 inches of snow in Sussex! Been sub-zero for the last few days so its settling well. Boarded up hive and will post pics tomorrow when school's called off... well hopefully...

Ben P

Now officially fed-up with the stuff! had it at home since last Thursday, went to Newcastle Sunday - yep, more of the stuff. Tried to fly out Monday morning, got to the airport (interesting) airport shut (snow but web site said it was open) finally flew 18:00 (got there at 04:15!), got to Brussels, snow came in, delay, 2 hours, got to northern spain, guess what, snow forcast for Thurs & Friday! Then it'll be home again - I guess to snow. No ideas how the girls are fairing - unavoidably in the Polyhive camp, leave them to it.

Cyprus sounds nice.

About 3 inches of snow in Sussex! Been sub-zero for the last few days so its settling well. Boarded up hive and will post pics tomorrow when school's called off... well hopefully...
Ben P
Dear Dear . schools called off indeed?
Back in 1947, 5 foot of snow didn't result in school closures .
Woke up Sunday morning to an eerie light (caused by snow covering the down stairs windows) . Mother opened front door , both of us then dug a path to the centre of the road (the snow plough had already been down the road ,Sunday or no ).
I then walked to church which was packed as usual , half way I met my mate and his father at the junction of a side road (all part of the adventure) .
Monday morning, school as usual and woe betide any absentees :D.
Latterly I had a friend who taught at a school 25 miles away, his main complaint was that after arriving at school , an inch of snow having fallen, he found half the locally based staff ringing in with the excuse that they couldn't get their cars of their drives .
What a wonderful world :(

John Wilkinson

alas, poor drones...

A scattering of snow here in Gloucestershire and very low temps even by last winter's standards. No flying bees and a faint buzz from the clusters, but both my hives had a little heap of 20 or 30 discarded drones on the ground under the entrance to indicate that the girls are still doing a spot of housekeeping. All except one of the outcasts were drones. I think these are the remaining loafers who were hanging around near the entrance, unwanted in the cluster. They have been neatly heave-ho-ed out through the mouseguard.

There's a nice, warm, honey smell wafting faintly from the entrances, always a reassuring sign. But I can see that I might have to dish out some fondant this year to keep them going despite their fairly generous initial stores.

Quite a start to winter...

days off...

Woke up Sunday morning to an eerie light (caused by snow covering the down stairs windows) . Mother opened front door , both of us then dug a path to the centre of the road (the snow plough had already been down the road ,Sunday or no ).
I then walked to church which was packed as usual , half way I met my mate and his father at the junction of a side road (all part of the adventure) .
Latterly I had a friend who taught at a school 25 miles away, his main complaint was that after arriving at school , an inch of snow having fallen, he found half the locally based staff ringing in with the excuse that they couldn't get their cars of their drives .

John Wilkinson

I couldn't agree more. I drive 1 hr to work along lanes and A roads...and I still get there in time for work when half the staff yesterday were late because their bus was cancelled - and they only live 2 miles from work...have they never heard of WALKING....???

I've already told them if/when it really snows, I'll still be in and will pick any shirkers up in the Landrover....but they can bl**dy well walk home !

regards

Somerford

I couldn't agree more. I drive 1 hr to work along lanes and A roads...and I still get there in time for work when half the staff yesterday were late because their bus was cancelled - and they only live 2 miles from work...have they never heard of WALKING....???

I've already told them if/when it really snows, I'll still be in and will pick any shirkers up in the Landrover....but they can bl**dy well walk home !

regards

Somerford
You and I are obviously from an era when men were men and women were glad of it ! :party:

John Wilkinson

and they only live 2 miles from work...have they never heard of WALKING....???

perhaps they feel it is against H & S regulations...

or if they fall over they cant sue anybody.

Hmm, looking outside this morning I think I should get a snow shovel out and go and make sure there is an air gap under the OMF and at least air can flow under the hives!!

John Wilkinson

The snow of '47 always reminds me of dad.

A slight flurry in the New Year and he always said, "Ah, this is just how it started in '47"

Have to agree tho', a dusting of snow and the place grinds to a halt now.

A drizzle of snow yesterday which froze hard ! roads clear , pavements covered by a dusting of the frozen castor sugar , people passed without leaving a trace of their footsteps !
No further flurries, over night air must have been bone dry ,as although bitterly cold , no frost on any of the vehicles this morning :hurray:

John Wilkinson

Back