Are your bees snowed in?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-8˚ expected here tonight. Only an inch or two of snow but we've had the white stuff to varying depths for three weeks now.
All three hives still humming, two taking fondant and one largely ignoring it.
I've put the inspection trays in while it's this cold.

You know what: I'm a bit fed up with certain people like you picking apart email queries - just because I didn't describe in exactly precise english language what I meant initially. I wrote 'all wet', but I clarified what I meant later on. I'd prefer to have people replying who can actually be helpful, and not just pedantic and eager to get some one upmanship.

(And I'm sure you'll be replying again to correct me on some nitpicky point!)

:hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray:

3"-4" here and getting very cold, more snow expected around Tuesday. Unfortunate as my apairy is about two miles from home down country Lanes! anyone got a landie for borrows?

I wish theyd make up their minds about what the weather is supposed to be going to do.

Yesterday they said there wouldnt be a lot of snow for Christmas weekend, now I think they're covering themselves and saying that there will be snow.

I'm supposed to be travelling up from Norwich to near Lincoln for the weekend...:driving: In the motorhome, so getting stuck isnt too much of a problem...

It's getting un-stuck that might be the problem....

18" inScottish Borders

I have open mesh floors too - but I never leave them open in winter - insert a plastic slide beneath OMFs - it's asking too much of the bees IMHO
I did lost the occasional hive in winter when I left floors open but last year all 8 came through in good shape.

5217841815_849cdb0120.jpg

I wish theyd make up their minds about what the weather is supposed to be going to do.

Yesterday they said there wouldnt be a lot of snow for Christmas weekend, now I think they're covering themselves and saying that there will be snow.

I'm supposed to be travelling up from Norwich to near Lincoln for the weekend...:driving: In the motorhome, so getting stuck isnt too much of a problem...

It's getting un-stuck that might be the problem....

the weather forecast which my firm buys which predicts 30 days ahead, is so far 90% correct this month for the snow storms to within 12hrs, which is not bad for 30 days ahead

so they have rain/sleat turning to snow 25th/26th and same 29th/30th , i bet it goes totally wrong now i have posted this :cuss:

so they have rain/sleat turning to snow 25th/26th and same 29th/30th , i bet it goes totally wrong now i have posted this

I think we'll make the final decision on Friday morning.

The "no snow in Wigan" changed on Friday night. The hive on the left is empty so I just have the one colony on the right. A few bees dead on floor but nothing to worry about as capping debris shows they are happy feeding. Great Spotted Wood pecker in garden last week so quickly got chicken wire on.

Woke up this morning in not so sunny Wakefield to 1 inch of snow. hope the bees are ok.

Latest posts

Back