Are your bees snowed in?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of years ago I would have said the same, but for the last few winters we have had plenty here in Eastbourne. Snowed off and on all day today - more forecast in the night.

If it is likely to snow, a good bet is to lean a board against the front of the hive to prevent light being reflected off the snow and into the hive, causing the bees to fly out....in very cold weather !

It can help reduce winter losses

regards

S

If it is likely to snow, a good bet is to lean a board against the front of the hive to prevent light being reflected off the snow and into the hive, causing the bees to fly out....in very cold weather !

looked at my hives today, it was bright and sunny; I have nothing in front of the hives and I noticed 4 or 5 casualties in the snow. I will probably drape some old hessian sacks (smoker fuel) over the fronts tomorrow.

A little more snow overnight but very bright and sunny now so just a quick check for casualties. All quiet, I decided to look under the floor. Two were OK clustering with just that low hum :) but the middle one shimmered noisily at me and one bee flew out to chase me down the field. Ho hum ........ I think I'll leave them till I trickle.

I thought they would all be tucked in for the winter so today would be a good day to tidy around the home hives.

WRONG!!!!
No1 colony was flying with about 30 bees on the front of the entrance at its peak, No2 had the odd bee out. Nos 3 & 4 no sight of a bee. had to wait until they stopped flying and then block up the entrances before I could start work.

Now I have to remember to unblock them tonight.

-10 here.

I am not touching them.

PH

Yes indeed PH....... I don't know why I even went up there. New I suppose
They are fed fondant, strapped down. What could I do anyway?
Mind you seeing and hearing them shimmer............. wow, just like when you see "Nepalese honey hunters" on the tele.
Till..........ooooo errrrrr best get out of here.
Lucky for me and the bees it was only the one that bit the snow.

-8C overnight 3mm of snow. Ideal running weather...

Not much snow here, just a light dusting. Lovely and sunny, but still cold at around -4c. No bees flying.

8 inch snow here and a few bees trying to fly and getting stuck in the snow.I cleared the entrances. Think I should have left them.

Much colder today than yesterday!. Still no sign of snow (weather radar not showing any signs of cloud formation).
Brook behind apiary is freezing over on the slower bends !

John Wilkinson

No snow again here today - not surprising as it was 27C and had a nice afternoon on the beach!

Wakefield today very cold all day (dont know temp) but no snow until now. started snowing 5 mins ago not heavy so far though.

No snow here.

I love the snow. :D:nature-smiley-12::nature-smiley-12:

8 inch snow here and a few bees trying to fly and getting stuck in the snow.I cleared the entrances. Think I should have left them.

Love the chook :)
5214952736_29f63d2843.jpg

We haven't had much snow but it was -10 c here yesterday evening and apparently dipped to -17c in some parts of mid wales. I feel like bringing the bees in and putting them by the fire!!

Latest posts

Back