Are you thinking of joining octopus for electricity?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So a smart meter would only show the energy I am currently using off of the main grid. Is that right?
So summer months when the solar panels are supplying our electricity during daylight hours the smart meter shows zero usage?
Is that correct or am I confused

We have a smart meter.. it's dumb and does not work.

I switched to EDF this month who gave me £100 credit for switching.. They started at £75..

EDIT: This was NOT through a Price Comparison Site.. The commission on switches through them is £hundreds and the Sites are VERY profitable (think 35% pre tax profit on sales). Far better to get some of that yourself.

So a smart meter would only show the energy I am currently using off of the main grid. Is that right?
So summer months when the solar panels are supplying our electricity during daylight hours the smart meter shows zero usage?
Is that correct or am I confused
It depends on the meter. I think you are getting a bit confused between a smart meter and the in home display (IHD) that comes with it. The smart meter sends info to your supplier so that they can take your readings without sending a man out. The IHD is a small screen that also takes info off the smart meter. It tells you exactly how much electricity you are using at any given point and some of them tell you how much you are feeding back to the grid if you have PV panels. If I look at my ihd I can see if I am feeding to the grid, and how much, or if I am using electricity and how much. I find it really useful but as I stated at the beginning of this I am a bit sad when it comes to electricity.!!!! Hope this helps.

Just for the record, I am being paid up to 9 p per Kw overnight to use my electricity. Good old octopus agile!

Bumping an old thread. I admit this is a bit cheeky and I hope you don't mind. Energy prices are going through the roof. It's worth looking at Octopus, as it might be cheaper. If you copy/paste the link below. You will get £50 and I will get £50.
share.octopus.energy/pink-shell-534

Nope - still going strong.

Unlike Symbio, who we went with last year. They've been total con-artists all along, taking money in advance, ignoring meter readings in favour od their own inflated estimates. They even took a random direct-debit of over £250, which we don't owe them on the day they went bust...all gone into the ether I guess.

In future I'll be sticking with big suppliers; no choice but to do so actually, as we've been given away to Eon Next.

Octopus are still going. They recently took on Avro customers.
I forget to say that Octopus doesn't have exit fees.

Octopus are still going. They recently took on Avro customers.
I forget to say that Octopus doesn't have exit fees.

Begrudgingly they took them on, they have said they have said no more.

Octopus are trying to acquire Bulb and Al Gore’s investment group have just bought a sizeable chunk of Octopus.
Its a very murky world out there.

Bumping an old thread. I admit this is a bit cheeky and I hope you don't mind. Energy prices are going through the roof. It's worth looking at Octopus, as it might be cheaper. If you copy/paste the link below. You will get £50 and I will get £50.
share.octopus.energy/pink-shell-534

Sorry Sunflower123 (and Enrico), but you would be insane to switch to Octopus at the moment. Their fixed rates are far far higher than the Standard Variable Rate with your existing supplier (which is capped by Ofgem). So if you are coming to the end of your fixed deal, just stay where you are and roll on to the SVR with your existing lender at least until April when the Ofgem cap is reviewed.

The same is true for any switch, not just one to Octopus

Even Octopus themselves say this on their website:

"If your fixed term is coming to an end, don't choose a new tariff or switch supplier."

Im with Eon who seem to be running a con / strong arm tactic campaign with their customers contacting them by multiple means and suggesting "It's the Law" for the customer to to use a so-called smart meter. Total lies and hogwash of course - the law says they must offer the facility, the customer has a choice.

The National Grid kept on saying we had enough capacity for EVs.

Now the National Grid say they will use Smart Meters to switch off power to charging EVs at peak usage .
(EVs charged on a separate circuit)

The National Grid kept on saying we had enough capacity for EVs.

Now the National Grid say they will use Smart Meters to switch off power to charging EVs at peak usage .
(EVs charged on a separate circuit)
Domestic chargers can easily be rigged to dodge any ( separate ) control.

Sorry Sunflower123 (and Enrico), but you would be insane to switch to Octopus at the moment. Their fixed rates are far far higher than the Standard Variable Rate with your existing supplier (which is capped by Ofgem). So if you are coming to the end of your fixed deal, just stay where you are and roll on to the SVR with your existing lender at least until April when the Ofgem cap is reviewed.

"If your fixed term is coming to an end, don't choose a new tariff or switch supplier."
There are more tariffs than their fixed rates. For example you can get Five hours from 2030 hours at 5.5 p and the rest is at 24 p . If you can use most of your electricity in those five hours, especially if you have storage heaters, electric vehicles, battery storage, all your white goods, water heating etc etc then you are quids in!
You have just picked the worse tariff. You need to find out all the facts before calling anyone insane!

There are more tariffs than their fixed rates. For example you can get Five hours from 2030 hours at 5.5 p and the rest is at 24 p . If you can use most of your electricity in those five hours, especially if you have storage heaters, electric vehicles, battery storage, all your white goods, water heating etc etc then you are quids in!
You have just picked the worse tariff. You need to find out all the facts before calling anyone insane!

What tariff?

They aren't even quoting tariffs on their website anymore as wholesale prices have got so stupid, so I am not sure where you are getting those figures. When you try to click through to see their tariffs you get this...

Octopus 2.PNG

and this ...

Octopus.PNG

And even USwitch, whose whole business model is predicated on earning money by persuading people to switch, is strongly recommending that you don't, and is offering ZERO new deals from any supplier, even if you do:

Something we never thought we'd say... (uswitch.com)

Last edited:

I don't think you get better than Octopus at the moment. I pay £0.4.76p to charge my Tesla at night + dishwasher / tumble dryer / washing machine etc which has cost me £20 for the month compared to £350 in petrol, their standard rate is £0.12.75p which is less than OVO and the daily standing charge is less than £0.20p per day. You won't find much cheaper.

Gas is really cheap! I think my smart meter has gone really dumb, and I can't see that the home dashboard is collecting gas data, so for a few months I've had free gas. No gas usage showing up on their billing.

I don't think you get better than Octopus at the moment. I pay £0.4.76p to charge my Tesla at night + dishwasher / tumble dryer / washing machine etc which has cost me £20 for the month compared to £350 in petrol, their standard rate is £0.12.75p which is less than OVO and the daily standing charge is less than £0.20p per day. You won't find much cheaper.

Gas is really cheap! I think my smart meter has gone really dumb, and I can't see that the home dashboard is collecting gas data, so for a few months I've had free gas. No gas usage showing up on their billing.

This is because you are an existing customer who has already got a fixed rate!

There rates are not available to new customers, and you will also see a huge increase with Octopus (probably £500+ per year) when your fixed rate period ends, at current wholesale market prices.

Latest posts

Back