Applying Oxalic Acid twice?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Dawson

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am a new beekeeper. I have one hive and I applied the OA yesterday. Today I looked at the hive and there were already a lot of dead mites on the inspection board. Clearly mites are very well controlled by this substance. When I applied it I thought that getting a direct dose onto each bee is impossible and most of the bees must pick it up from other bees rather from the trickle.
So getting a good kill of mites is great but does anyone have any experience of applying it twice and getting an even better result.

A bit like taking twice the dose for a pain killer? Or perhaps three or four times as much, for even more effect. Follow the guidelines.

If the mite drop is excessive, then a second dose after at least 2 weeks will do more good than harm. A couple of years ago I had one hive with a drop of over 3000 when I lost count and so I treated again. "Experts" say not to do twice but I have done it several times with no ill effects as far as I am aware. But then I sublimate/evaporate anyway!!!!!

Usually one dose is enough if you used a thymol based varroacide at the back end of summer. It has been suggested in scientifc papers that up to 3 doses at 7 day intervals, appear to have no detrimental effect on the bees.
In my experience one dose is usually enough and the advice from you bee inspector would probably be the same, If you are a member of York bka ask Nigel his advice.

I applied the OA yesterday. Today I looked at the hive and there were already a lot of dead mites on the inspection board. .

One treatment gives a good results. Mites will drop next 30 days. Then you have allready brood there.

However no one treat twice if he has a little bit brains because recipe says that give only one dosage.

In my country many give treament November and then in March, but we have long winter.

I have found Hive Clean very effective throughout the year. I applied a maintainance dose once a month during the active season and so far I have not had a huge varroa problem. I plan to do the same next year. Has anyone else tried it?
Andy

Thanks

Very good article. I wont try a second it time!
Thanks

Back