Apivar life

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alldigging

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Someone I know has put apivar life on a hive that has a super and a brood box above the brood. There's balsam so they will be stocking more in.

I'm not sure we're going to get over 35' in Oldham in the few weeks so the temperature isn't an issue.

I assume the treatment will be less effective as there is lots of space for the stuff to get round and more room for the bees to sit away from it.

But - the honey -
the instructions say: Remove Api Life Var tablets from hive at least 1 month (30 days) prior to harvesting honey

So does this mean you can still take some honey off and eat it?

As a beginner, I have been buying in the occasional jar of honey from someone else in my local association, pending producing my own. He uses Apilife Var and as far as I know complies with the withdrawal requirements. My OH, who has somewhat more sensitive taste buds and sense of smell than me, complained unprompted of the strong smell of thyme coming off the honey and will not eat it.

I do not know if the honey your acquaintance is producing will be dangerous, but I suspect it will be inedible to anyone with any sense of taste or smell.

I am using Apilife Var this season, so it will be interesting to see if my OH detects any vestigial traces in next year's crop.

Apivarlife

What ever the name, it should not be used if you extract honey from hive.

As a honeyshow judge I come across honey in shows with the aroma and taste of Thymol suggesting that several beekeepers are not reading or simply ignoring the intructions that come with thymol based Varroa treatments.

Latest posts

Back