Apiguard drying out wot do I do?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zubzub

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
2 comm bb and nat supers
Hi
I checked my hives today no feed req on two but 2 ltrs on small swarm. and all looking good, apart from Apiguard drying out a bit after one week.
Is there anything i need to do to Apiguard or will they still move it out.
this is my first time in preparing for winter so any avice or comments welcomed.

ZZ

Dont worry about it, just make sure you put the next lot in at the right time. I usually empty whats left in the first tray into the second one.

Hi Zubzub. I would be more concerned about your 'small swarm'. Will they be robust enough for the winter?

I too am concerned but have gained strength and now up another frame of brood since last weekly inspection.
I am treating as a 6 frame nuc with insulation (celotex x 50mm thick dummy boards)
and they also have another drawn 16x10 frame to go at will be watching carfully.
And her maj is absoulutly stunning so fingers crossed.

ZZ

:biggrinjester:

Apiguard does seem to dry out a bit much but usually the bees manage to use it. Aparrt from emptying the residue onto the tray of the second installment, you could always mix in a bit of honey to help it go down. Essential it doesn't go too quickly even so.

Not a problem - as Veg writes.

Latest posts

Back