apigard or apivar or apilife var???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have no clue what you mean above, does blatant spammer for toxic chemicals mean you are suggesting the vets dont exist or supply apivar or are you against the use of chemicals to treat hives.

It is a substance not licensed for general use in the UK, the poster of "where to get it" is essentially helping subvert the regulatory system, which is ostensibly there for our and our bees health and protection.
My view is that there are more than enough "softer" treatments available without resorting to a chemical sledgehammer, and am somewhat horrified to find a vet allowing themselves to be part of such a scheme.....

On a personal level, they don't make barge-poles long enough!

As a point of information, the poster of contact details exhibited classic "spammer" behaviour by repeating the details in more than one thread about the toxin......

Last edited:
Having spoken to a friendly vet and assumed they'd be as knowledgeable as on other animals, they don't seem to get involved with bees so did not seem that up on the varroa mite. So why would a vet get involved in prescribing it? Or does it depend on whether they have a commercial beekeeper as one of their customers?

As a newbie who used Apiguard before winter and was worried by the effect on queen laying, I think this is still the aspect of beekeeping about which I feel least confident and in control. I know everyone says it is a temporary cessation - but having something that has such an effect implies the bees are worried and we are placing it directly in their midst.

I haven't treated with OA but it sounds as though I should be doing something. I did read about hive clean and the suggestion was that such treatment could be suitable if the signs of infestation was very low?

Tricia

It is a substance not licensed for general use in the UK, the poster of "where to get it" is essentially helping subvert the regulatory system, which is ostensibly there for our and our bees health and protection.
My view is that there are more than enough "softer" treatments available without resorting to a chemical sledgehammer, and am somewhat horrified to find a vet allowing themselves to be part of such a scheme.....

On a personal level, they don't make barge-poles long enough!

As a point of information, the poster of contact details exhibited classic "spammer" behaviour by repeating the details in more than one thread about the toxin......

Are you referring to Apivar, Brosville? I thought ApiLifeVar was a thymol product.

I have been referring to "Apivar" which is a preparation containing "Amitraz" - which is completely self-evident to anyone who has read even a few of the previous posts in this thread........... but then you knew that already!

Latest posts

Back