Apilife var in Spring?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A bit late, but have just finished Autumn apivar life treatment, average daily drop during treatment was 30 mites (small colony). Still some mite drop but queen is laying and plenty of stores. I do not use OA treatment in winter - not got equipment and don't like the idea of frying beloved bees.

Wondering if l can use apilife var again in Spring, before adding super, or will temperature likely not be high enough?

Why don’t you just trickle your apibioxal mid December ish. Then you shouldn’t need to treat in the Spring

By the way vaping doesn’t fry the bees just as thymol vapour doesn’t suffocate them :D

Why don’t you just trickle your apibioxal mid December ish. Then you shouldn’t need to treat in the Spring

By the way vaping doesn’t fry the bees just as thymol vapour doesn’t suffocate them :D

:iagree: all it would cost you is a big syringe from your local chemist

You could stick some apivar in now if you wish and if you are still dropping mites I would do so. You are keeping live stock you have a responsibility to them by not wishing to fry them!!! You are leaving a parasitic mite in the hive thus weakening them and quite frankly not taking care of your responsibilities, even if that doesn’t align with your personal preferences.

Any mite drop now, after apivar, could easily be dead mites being dislodged and not necessarily fresh deaths.
I doubt anyone can claim to take colonies into Winter with zero mites.

Apivar and apivar life are two different products. The latter is thymol based and as such needs temps of 15 degrees plus. Apivar is a synthetic pesticide. Think I have that the right way round

Apivar and apivar life are two different products. The latter is thymol based and as such needs temps of 15 degrees plus. Apivar is a synthetic pesticide. Think I have that the right way round

Correct hence why I suggested apivar

Thank you Dani, your suggestions are always concise and helpful. Trickled Apibioxal in Dec/Jan it shall be!

Any mite drop now, after apivar, could easily be dead mites being dislodged and not necessarily fresh deaths.
I doubt anyone can claim to take colonies into Winter with zero mites.
Thank you Steve, it is Apilife var that l used, but like you, l doubt anyone can guarantee to go into winter miteless. The mite drop is pretty low, some days zero.

I had to weigh up wanting to build up a small colony with winter bees and risking the queen stopping laying by re-treating, back to back, now.

You could stick some apivar in now if you wish and if you are still dropping mites I would do so. You are keeping live stock you have a responsibility to them by not wishing to fry them!!! You are leaving a parasitic mite in the hive thus weakening them and quite frankly not taking care of your responsibilities, even if that doesn’t align with your personal preferences.
I rather resent the implication that l am being remiss in my responsibilities to my livestock - bees in this instance. If l was being irresponsible l wouldn't have posted the question in the first place.

My 'personal preference' in fact, like most beekeepers l suspect, would be not to treat at all, but my responsibility to my bees, and to other beekeepers in the area is to treat in the most appropriate way, hence my question, Ian 123.

Latest posts

Back