Requeening my bees from hell

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About my locality and my “bees from hell”.
Yes, my bees and Queens are black locals, as are my other colonies. I have just the one apiary but occasionally buy a Queen from a well known/respected regional (NI) beekeeper to maintain genetic heterogeneity.
Three years ago a proportion of bees in one colony developed workers with a relatively broad single stripe and since then I have bred the occasional grafted Q which is more orange than black (which I discard). There are also two apiaries within three miles (closest 2 miles).
What are your thoughts on the likelihood of the “nasty” trait recurring after I have requeened my cross colony?
What are the other queens you raised performing like?

That won’t help your new queen to get mated. It’s likely that she avoids these by flying to a more distant DCA. There’s a little argument about this in another thread though

Thank you for all those answers / guidance. When I was doing Oxalic treatment in Dec. I thought then I will unite this colony. But a couple of months have passed and that thought had gone out of my mind !!!

Started reading this thread and thought I would replace the Q. Totally forgot about uniting. That is what I will be doing. I am learning to live with these "Senior Moments". Doh!

Thanks for the help.

In the past I,ve found that a queenless hive can become angrier, knocking down emergency cells isnt really the answer you could end up with laying workers if they decide not to make any more queen cells. IMHO its better to buy in a queen from a known source or merge with another hive a much quicker solution than waiting to see if a new queen that hatches has a better temperment. I suppose it depends where you are and how long you are prepared to wait.

Any bees can turn nasty.
Hmmm - Thanks for the cue. I went down the “cause of aggressiveness in A. melifera” rabbit hole this afternoon - and will not do that again, despite wanting to know more about inferred influential genetic/environment interactions. I will leave it to others.

Unfortunately the nasty colony performed better than my others. My colonies are healthy and I use/apply the same inspection regime to all.
I meant regarding the temperament of their bees, I'm assuming your bad queen is one of a number raised last year, how do they compare? With a change to the background drone population, I'd expect any change in temperament to affect more than one mating.

In any mongrel type bee if you attempt to raise queens you’ll get a mixed bag to some degree or another. You also won’t be able to predict the character of the colony until it’s well established.

I meant regarding the temperament of their bees, I'm assuming your bad queen is one of a number raised last year, how do they compare? With a change to the background drone population, I'd expect any change in temperament to affect more than one mating.
The temperament of my other colonies is fine bu I have noticed a proportion of workers in some colonies have a yellow segment on the abdomen.

Latest posts

Back