Requeening my bees from hell

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi all,
I have a National hive colony (late June 2021 Q) with a record of running, stinging and following since August 2021, including during Winter OA treatment. I plan to requeen it ASAP this Spring. The colony was highly productive last year currently, has seven seams of bees (perspex crown board with 2.5cm insulation) and has consistently had low varroa counts (based on Apiquard and OA vap mite drops).
I have several overwintered nuc candidates with which to do the requeening. When I find and kill the unwanted Q, I plan use the newspaper method and establish a double deep box hive.
Should I add the nuc as soon as the unwanted Q is killed or wait for a few days until her “angry” progeny may be more accepting of the new Q?
Normally I do a first hive inspection in early/mid April (weather dependent) inspection. I am tempted but dithering about requeening in March before colony numbers have increased greatly. Has anyone got good advice on this?
Alan.

As nasty as they are if you try to requeen too early you will get a badly mated queen and then a terrible season of one disaster to another while trying to sort it out.

When you requeen be ruthless, break it down to 3 or even four nucs is it’s a strong 10 frame by the end of May. You can always reunite later.

Buy reliably bred queens, slow release, give them fresh foundation keep them busy, feed even if there is a flow on.

A stroppy hive often produces a better crop, it’s a compromise, look at your handle of the bees maybe they don’t like the fuel choice, time of day who knows ☹

Should I add the nuc as soon as the unwanted Q is killed or wait for a few days until her “angry” progeny may be more accepting of the new Q?
Do it immediately, you have time now to prepare, move the nuc next to the 'nasty' hive well in advance, when you'rfe ready to do the deed, prepare the nuc for placing on top of the receiving hive, get in ther, squish the queen and then put three or four sheets of newspaper on the hive. definitely put a QX over the paper before placing the donor hive on top.
If you think the bees are going to be vicious whilst you search for the queen, it may be worth moving that hive a couple of yards away from hits stand half an hour before conducting the search leaving an empty box in its place, that will mean that most of the flying bees (usually the culprits in an aggressive hive) will have left the hive and be looking bemused at the empty box. Move the hive back as soon as the queen has been married to the gatepost and carry on with the unite.

I Agree with Jeff unite straight away after killing the queen.
I suppose you plan to add your overwintered nuc to a brood box first?
I would also feed some syrup a day or two before and add a feeder to the unite it will help also with the unite.

You get one chance to find the queen in relative peace so take your time, be methodical. Be prepared to kill her immediately. When you see her never take your eyes off her. If you are on your own and not confident then have a spare nuc ready and as soon as you see her on the frame put that frame in the nuc and close it. Combine the hives and do the deed afterwards.

I have a swarm that I collected last year that are really bad,I,ll be moving the hive as Jenks suggests and adding a new queen under a push in cage . Also donning a second layer under my bee suit for that extra bit of protection.I,ve been through this before and know how intimidating it can be when the bees are all trying to sting you.

I have a swarm that I collected last year that are really bad,I,ll be moving the hive as Jenks suggests and adding a new queen under a push in cage . Also donning a second layer under my bee suit for that extra bit of protection.I,ve been through this before and know how intimidating it can be when the bees are all trying to sting you.
I'm impressed that you usually go commando under your suit

We're all naked under our clothes, no?

Err some of us have body hair which is widespread and looks like a carpet.. (not a pretty sight) :eek:

To enhance the thrill you could try wearing BBWear's ultra-thin lightweight suit, or volunteer for the Asian-hornet task force....

I think there has been a misunderstanding I do wear clothes under my beesuit I meant to say wear an extra layer when requeening nasty bees. I,ve seen on the web nudist beekeepers but I dont want to frighten the neighbours.:eek:

Back