apigard or apivar or apilife var???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseCottage

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
From 5 to 2 and hopefully a better year
So I visited Thornes last week and was unsure what to get. I came away with Api life var.
However out on the net it is talked about as a treatment with a limited efficacy, significantly lower than apiguard or apivar, and s something not to be considered as a serious Varroa treatment.

Should I be taking my 4 packets back?

Sam

use it, , it is more weather dependant than apiguard ,but if we have a normal indian summer, it should be OK

remember apiguard and apilife var are not 100% effective as they do not kill varroa in the brood, your final treatment of the year with oxalic ,formic or lattic acid are the prime varroa control not apiguard or apilife VAR//

Apivar, ok if you can get it from the continent but dont think it is uk approved so Thornes don't sell it

Apiguard average effiency 93% or more....Api life var 95% or more...if both are used correctly....api life var is much more in contact with the bee cluster than apiguard.

I had a visit from the National bee inspector and he uses ApilifeVar, says results are comparable with Apiguard.

The biggest difference is the manufacturer of Apilife Var gives more information about use in different temperatures which the Apiguard people don't. This should not be interpreted as meaning it is more temperature dependent.

I am a little different to MM. Slightly differing views on the topic

Thymol is my prime treatment - going into winter, so the they raise healthy winter bees before the winter.

I only treat with oxalic if I deem it necessary. None are punted as 100% efficacy, as far as I have read.

Regards, RAB

apivar?

We've been recommended Apivar by our local bee inspector. Anybody know where to get hold of it? The vet we were given has got to import it from France. Does anyone kmow how to get it direct and save time? Can't seem to locate a vendor on the internet. Any help much appreciated.

Last edited:
Apivar is an organophosphate I believe. A bit like sheep dip?
And not licenced in the UK so an odd thing for a bee inspector to suggest using.
I would rather avoid if possible.

No treatment is 100% effective or we would all be saying "Hooray we don't have varroa any more" Maybe one day!

The difference between 93% and 95% is as small as a gnats chuff so not worth worrying about IMO.

Apivar can be prescribed by a vet for use in the UK. I understand the NBU have used it which is why your bee inspector may be recommending it. By all accounts it is very effective but it is what I would call a hard chemical. The active ingredient is Amitraz which is used amongst other things in flea collars*. I don't think it is an organophosphate but may be wrong.

And the difference between 93% and 95% is quite a lot. Nearly 50% more mites left in the hive.

*Collars for dogs etc. Though I suppose if you got one small enough...

Last edited:
Hi

I have 2 hives, one is a small colony the other twice as big.
Been monitoring for varroa and have not yet seen any.
It is not that I have missed them as I had a few last year and can recognise them.
I am not sure whether to apply Apiguard or not.
I assume it could be a little detrimental to the bees if it not necessary as would any chemicals.

You're right, RTs Amitraz is a triazapentadiene not an OP
It's used as an insecticide for pets and plants.

Hi

I have 2 hives, one is a small colony the other twice as big.
Been monitoring for varroa and have not yet seen any.
It is not that I have missed them as I had a few last year and can recognise them.
I am not sure whether to apply Apiguard or not.
I assume it could be a little detrimental to the bees if it not necessary as would any chemicals.

My natural drop was very low and the post Tx fall was modest too but I would never have considered not treating after reading some horror stories on this forum.
Anybody considering not treating might do worse than have a look at Margo's picture here http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/album.php?albumid=161

Apivar is an organophosphate I believe. A bit like sheep dip?

Not organophosphate- pyrethroid. That is a synthetic chemical with a design based around the structure of chrysanthemum extract. Not lovely, but not as nasty as organophosphate, or as persistent.

The Italian manufacturer's website suggests using not four week-long doses of a single tablet, but two fortnight-long doses of two tablets. Same total length and dosage, just delivered in a different pattern more suited to our cooler climate.

My limited experience of how much ALV pisses off my bees makes me suggest that the standard Italian pattern would annoy them less.

I'd have thought the added initial concentration of two tablets would possibly annoy them more?

I did both methods on one hive, week one and two with one tab each followed by a fortnight with two - luckily mine seem quite indifferent to either method

Apivar

There is a company in manchester that has the import certificate to bring Apivar over from France - Animal Medical Centre, 511 Wilbraham Road, chorlton, Manchester M21 0UB 01618813329 contact name Julie, they also keep bee's

JWestlake you are a blatant spammer for toxic chemicals!:spam:

Latest posts

Back