Anyone making legit swarm lures

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beesleybees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 + 4 nucs
Hi guys,

Would like to try my luck attracting some swas this year, put a few bait gives out last year but had no interest, hoping some swarm lures might sway it in my direction. Anyone making legit nasanov swarm lures that would sell me a few? Pointless buying the stuff to make it myself as I would never use it all

Hope someone can help

Try using lemongrass oil, you can buy it from H+B.

Ditto lemongrass on an old tatty frame … and you can get it from a well known auction site for much less ;-) Follow Seeley's recommendations for bait hives - 40 litres, small entrance, south facing, solid floor. Should work just fine.

Hi guys,

Would like to try my luck attracting some swas this year, put a few bait gives out last year but had no interest, hoping some swarm lures might sway it in my direction. Anyone making legit nasanov swarm lures that would sell me a few? Pointless buying the stuff to make it myself as I would never use it all

Hope someone can help

Is there an effective non-legit lure?

Hi guys,

Hope someone can help

old "manky" comb works for me, and old "non-flamed" brood boxes, I've got to be careful in the swarm season, last year swarms were turning up all the time! (and had to bee proof my bee shed!).

I could easily have hived 20+ last year, ran out of kit, after 10!

Thanks for the replies guys but I was told that lemon grass oil on its own isn't as good as the the other stuff that mimics the smell of a queen. Read about it last year but the lab grade reagents were quite expensive to guy and too much for what I need

Any idea when the first swarms should be about?

I had about six swarms move in last year and I didn't use lures. I use an old hive with a solid floor with a small entrance and a few frames with nice old dark wax. I have used lemongrass oil but I have the same results without.

Saw the comment a few days ago on another site; east midlands general area; somebody who may also be a member of this forum.

I've never tried bait hives, what's the hit rate?

I put empty hives out in the spring to use for swarm control and seal them up until use them.

No reason I couldn't put some old comb in them if it's worth it.

I've never tried bait hives, what's the hit rate?

I put empty hives out in the spring to use for swarm control and seal them up until use them.

No reason I couldn't put some old comb in them if it's worth it.

for me, and depends on season maybe!

2013 - three hives left out, three arrived, once absconded.

2014 - over-run, and finding it difficult to stop swarms going into any kit, left out! 10+ (100%). gave other's away.

Saw the comment a few days ago on another site; east midlands general area; somebody who may also be a member of this forum.

Sorry. My mistake, wrong area, it was Henley. Date suggests the swarm was 12th or 13th March.

"date posted 27 March
Already picked up a swarm 2 weeks ago ... "

I've got some lemongrass oil now and am going to give this bee trapping a go. How much oil to you put on the old frames?

Back