ANTS!! Suggestions of storage of frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellabee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello,

This is our first year storing our frames so naturally we will have done it wrong, and hope to learn. At present they are in our downstairs shower room, where it is quite cold. As the shed is not an option. Anyway we now have, as we would have expected, ants!

Some of the frames and boxes are wrapped in clingfilm, but is that enough. Can ants smell through the clingfilm.

Suggestions gratefully welcome, we do hope to get these frames back on the hive soon, but I would love to know an answer for next year of until we can get them on the hive.

Any suggestions on keeping other smells in there?

Thanks in advance.

x

This is our first year storing our frames

A little more explanation might be necessary?

I make up my frames and leave them foundationless, until needed, in a hive box.

I store most of my my used frames outside all winter in boxes. Use sulphur to fumigate occasionally to avoid wax moth damage. I (nearly) always store my frames dry, so no real encouragement for ants to invade. They are sometimes left under the hive brood box with no particular problem.

RAB

Large sealed box's from DIY store, but try not to store wet frames, I e frames straight from extraction. Give them back to the bees for 24 hours and they will lick them dry.
E

Latest posts

Back