Another sting question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a shaved head so I've started wearing a cap under the veil for that little bit of extra protection for the old bonce.

Problem was the peak just pulled the veil closer to my chin....yep thats right the little lady got me right on the end. My chin now looks like its got a tennis ball tucked under the skin. At least it provides some amusement in the office.

Piritese works well but use the one you can use every four hours not the daily one. Thats more for your hayfever sufferers(or so I'm told). Problem is you never really know how well it has worked. My chin is still swollen but it may have been a lot worse if I hadn't taken it.

I posted this some time ago, after a build up in reaction and advice to give up I found a paper in the moir library of the SBA advising 2piriton and 1aspirin taken 30 mins before grasping your bee in the palm of your hand would condition the body to reduce its reaction, carried out each spring, a few years of this and no problem. Obviously not a solution those with serious reaction problems.

Well I got a sting on the temple yesterday. Proper job,had to scratch the sting out. I swear by Apis Mel pillules. I would have expected quite a swelling but today there is only mild itching and a small swollen area.

Snap, happened just after veil removal, hit on the forehead but managed to scratch it out. Very surprised to find a day later no swelling or itching, wish they were all like this!:)
PS. Dab of tee tree oil may have helped maybe.

Last edited:
I have had several bees join me on the inside in the last couple of years, and no doubt will have many more.

I bought an all in one suit last year with a fencing veil. The fencing veil is too restrictive on my vision and the structure on the whole is a bit floppy.

However, the suit is very thick cotton and overall offers good protection. The solution so far for the veil has been to wear a baseball cap under the veil as this provides some structural strength. I am still a little vulnerable to a ping to the ear mind you and am considering adding a little more lining to the neck/ear area of the suit (I have also seen a suit I quite like in the Tower of London, one previous overweight owner).

Ultimately though the best answer I can come up with is that this will happen and I have to expect it. If you keep 500,000 bees and insist on taking their honey at some point they will get lucky or nature has failed them.

I could always just stop putting myself in harms way but that can wait...

Sam

Dab Tea Tree Oil on the sting - stops the stinging.

No, the bees don't mind it.

Anti-Hs if needed :)

Sorry to hear that and here is a very old remedy. Put a large spoon in boiling water and then put the hot spoon on the sting area for as long as is bearable, repeat a few times, it works, must be something to do with the chemistry and the heat.
Another remedy is alternate hot and cold compresses.

Latest posts

Back