Another sting question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frenchie

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Whilst inspecting my bees yesterday one managed to get inside my veil and stung me on the inside of my ear.Didn't have any real reaction until about 10hrs later when my ear doubled in size,I went quite deaf,felt very nauseous and the ear itches like hell.Put on cream and hoping it will all soon settle down.Any suggestions I what I can do if it happens again other then making sure evepart of my bee suit is done up correctly.Thanks bee-smillie

Well I got a sting on the temple yesterday. Proper job,had to scratch the sting out. I swear by Apis Mel pillules. I would have expected quite a swelling but today there is only mild itching and a small swollen area.

Antihistmoene tablets straight away.
That's about it..... Anywhere on the face and neck is especially unpleasant.
Sorry to hear you have gone deaf ..... Pardon!

Not heard of them,where could I get some and thanks for the quick reply.

Firstly try not to panic (I still have visions of myself doing the exact opposite the first time it happened to me)
Hopefully the bee/bees will come forward onto the inside of the veil where you can then squish them between thumb and finger.
Try taking a piriton tablet? (not sure of spelling) asap after sting.

Have you thought about going to the pub and getting free drinks all night for the freak show ?

All good chemists sell antihistamine tablets or creams. Antistan is one I use directly onto stings. Seems to work a treat as I have bad reactions sometimes.

Would be interested to know if there is any consensus on the best remedial action to the symptoms of bee stings. I imagine that we all react very differently but wondered if any particular anti-histamine spray/cream is strongly recommended.

I find antihistamines (both piriton and Zirtek varieties) are of little use if I get stung. Similarly little effect with anthisan cream. 24 hours after the sting I get swelling and severe itching which lasts for another 48 hours, so this season I'm going to try Eurax, just to relieve the itching - and more importantly I'm going to remember to close all my zips properly!

I got a sting under my chin and antihistmines didn't work at all, especially the cream. My GP said that antihistamine creams sometimes made things worse and prescribed me a different a/h pill and 1% hydrocortisone cream. This worked quite well. A cold towel on my neck and faced helped too.
I am now supposed to take the a/h pills before I go to the bees. It wasn't very nice. My neck and face ballooned, I had a sore throat and the itch was spreading downwards to my chest and shoulders. The doc was much more concerned than I was!

I got a sting under my chin and antihistmines didn't work at all, especially the cream. My GP said that antihistamine creams sometimes made things worse and prescribed me a different a/h pill and 1% hydrocortisone cream. This worked quite well. A cold towel on my neck and faced helped too.
Local opinion is that Piriton (chlorphenamine maleate) works better than the "non drowsy" alternatives like Zirtek (ceterizine hydrochloride), take one when stung and at 6 hour intervals for a day as per the box instructions. It's "pharmacy only" so easy to ask for "piriton or the generic version" if you can't remember the ingredient. The itching continues for a couple of days so an effective cream is useful. While you're at the pharmacy you can also get some Hc45 hydrocortisone acetate cream or the generic version...

Hi,thanks for all the replies.Swelling,etc has just about gone.I found that concentrated lavender oil worked really well for the itching.

I was told at the end of last year that if you apply honey to the sting it helps, I have not been stung this season but will give it a try when the time comes. Had some bad reaction to stings on my chin and arm last year. Have any other forum members ever tried honey on a sting?

Regards Richard.

Back