Gutted

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Extracted a few more frames from the garden hives yesterday morning, ran it through my double strainer and into a 30 litre settling tank which it filled, well pleased, lid on and left it on my bench in the garage ready to jar up in a couple of weeks.
This morning went in the garage for some kit and 1/2” of honey all over the floor with one empty bucket. Valve was closed but think the seal has failed. So started cleaning at 0800hrs & just finished 1800hrs. Had to remove my chest freezer, commercial chiller warming cabinet and an upright fridge freezer as the honey had gone underneath everything. Spent the day fighting off bees and wasps in their 100’s and took a good few stings for my trouble. Managed to scrape about 10litres together and got it in a bucket which I will feed back to the bees. Absolutely gutted (and sticky)

Oh no. Sounds like you have had a terrible day.
Sadly you are not the first person to suffer such a fate.
Honey is so hard to clean up as well.

honey all over the floor with one empty bucket. Valve was closed but think the seal has failed. Absolutely gutted (and sticky)
You know I have the same problem except I was aware of it pretty quickly. Replaced the o rings in a couple of tanks. Still rubbish. The pressure of a good few inches of honey is just too much.
SS tank with a SS valve is on the wish list.

Thanks for sharing that. I feel for you!
I'll continue to let it settle in buckets, take off any "scum" there and only put in the bottling tank immediately before jarring! I nearly left a load in the jarring tank last time!
Weren't you tempted to recover what you could and then leave the doors open & stand well back?!!

Latest posts

Back