Another Nuc to BB scenario?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish I had never asked the question! - did not mind criticism and very happy to receive advice especially when asking a bit of an off the wall question.
Wish I had never asked the question! - did not mind criticism and very happy to receive advice especially when asking a bit of an off the wall question.

Hi dickbowyer,

I don't think that anyone was criticising you, it was a case of the members not fully understanding your question. Not forgetting that this thing called "The Internet" doesn't have the ability to show the expression on peoples faces when they are replying to your post lol. Nor are you able to fully see the persons intention just by reading there reply.

It's not going to help anyone on this forum if we were to all assume that everytime a member replies to a post, that they are out to get us or assume that the person replying to our post thinks that they are a better beekeeper than the rest of us.

If Honey Bees got upset with each other in this way all the time we would never have any honey to harvest lol bee-smillie

It's not going to help anyone on this forum if we were to all assume that everytime a member replies to a post, that they are out to get us or assume that the person replying to our post thinks that they are a better beekeeper than the rest of us.

Good point well made. I would go further, post assuming you will be helped by someone with more experience.

Just because someone has the confidence to express a view does not make them right - just confident, always filter what comes back and overlay your circumstances / location.

Don't assume a responding 'more' experienced beek is a better beek. There is a difference between reciting best practice and living it ... and you can't tell that from a post. Don't let anyone psych you out on here!

Remember if you ask 6 beeks, you'll get 7 answers, 8 of those answers probably have some truth and relevance. The mix is then up to you.

Not wishing to add fuel to the fire as I agree totally with admin, but I do think there is often a distinctly condescending tone used in response to questions by new beeks. (I state for the record that I'm not necessarily talking about anyone in this particular thread).
Advice should be encouraging and supportive in tone rather than the "staggered and flabbergasted that anyone could ask such a question" response, otherwise good advice can simply get ignored.
There seem to be so many posts from new members that start "please don't shoot me down if I get it wrong......". I wonder how many members lurk on the periphery scared to post for fear of being mocked (even if it is not necessarily intended in that way).
[prepares to be shot down....]

I recommend the new Klingon cloaking device App for the iPhone, they can shoot all they like, but will still miss!:)

Not wishing to add fuel to the fire as I agree totally with admin, but I do think there is often a distinctly condescending tone used in response to questions by new beeks. (I state for the record that I'm not necessarily talking about anyone in this particular thread).
Advice should be encouraging and supportive in tone rather than the "staggered and flabbergasted that anyone could ask such a question" response, otherwise good advice can simply get ignored.
There seem to be so many posts from new members that start "please don't shoot me down if I get it wrong......". I wonder how many members lurk on the periphery scared to post for fear of being mocked (even if it is not necessarily intended in that way).
[prepares to be shot down....]

Well said , I totally agree , :hurray: If they spoke to the people face to face like they do on here it wouldn't take long before they would be eating a knuckle sandwich.

Hughesie, I mention this purely to maintain balance, you will have noted my post above.

Yes, some of the tone in certain response posts can be regarded as dissmissive and on occassions condescending in tone (as GBH pointed out). It may well be the case that in the real world such an atitude might elicit a robust physical response from some - and that would not be right either given they presumably would have asked the question in the real world as well and so were hoping for help?

In the real world people are also expected to be life long learners and apply a level of self help with regard seeking knowledge and should utilise their own efforts at least as much as they take advantage of the prior efforts of others. Presumably new beeks enter the hobby with a wish to learn (and remember) skills not simply to blindly follow the teachings of others.

Are you suggesting the less than helpful "please see previous thread" response is the route forward (and I admit to posting that when I've seen the same question twice on the same page)? Or, do you think that it is reasonable to expect the same peeps to cheerfully while away a cup of char writing a variant on the same thing they wrote yesterday? We come back to balance. It is equally discouteous to blatantly expect the responder to put more effort into a response than the postee has done in constructing the question or researching it. Thats what Google is for.

I think there is balance required from all. Effort and courtesy required from all. An effort to demonstrate prior consideration would I think go a long way on the postees part - such as: I am concerned about XXXX, I've thought about a, b, c but am not sure of their merrits or even if I have considered all the options. But irrespective a courteous response (or no response) must always be the minimum expectation.

I value this forum and am disappointed to see it's status de-graded by this argument. It is far more vibrant and colourful than 'the other place' and better for it, perhaps we all need to make sure that colour is limited to the visible spectrum.

Last edited:
Rosti

You can't expect new members to ask the right questions with all the information , they are new to the hobby and just don't know , they are here for help.

Lets all be helpful but do it in a correct manner (Not condescending ).

I agree this is a real great forum and the constant condescending should not be tollerated . Its the same few , time and time again.

Effort and courtesy required from all.

:iagree:

But let's not forget this is meant to be a family-friendly forum. The person starting the thread could quite feasibly be a 12 year old trying to make sense of a complex subject. Being chastised for not phrasing the question properly is not the way to educate and encourage.

Again, you are right GBH, but by careful use of the search engine before responding I was able to find a previous thread and poll that told me only 1.76% of forum users (who expressed a preference) are under 19 so main school age and below is a very small (but hopefully growing minority on here). The courtesy and direction to previous threads is possibly the balance if you are unsure background/age? I find my kids run rings around me when it comes to Google, searches and trawling for info. I know you said you agreed, just using a worked example to point out how easy it is to search the brilliant knowledge base already on this forum.

Latest posts

Back