Reuniting colonies after A/swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy Tip Top

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,I artificially swarmed a colony. I have put the old queen in a nuc with stores and sealed brood and new foundation. (Hive A)

I now want to add the supers taken from hive A and put them onto the split colony ( hive B) which has a 12 day old queen cell in.

My question is, do add the supers and residual frames (to hive B) whilst there is still a queen cell inside; or do I wait for the new queen to emerge?

Secondly, any tips please on how best to merge. I was thinking of a quick direct merger, spraying the colony and super with dilute peppermint.

Any advice much appreciated. Thank you

Obviously not. Which colony did you leave where? Is hive B still strong enough to need, or cope with supers?
I take it supers are bee-less. In which case just bung them on, if you so decide. Are the stores in the supers capped?

Not obvious to me which is why I asked. One colony is a nuc so supers aren’t there. He’s asking if he can move supers to the parent hive so I presume he took them off.
I think he had two full size colonies, he put the queen and two frames into a nuc from one colony and now wants to unite the remaining two original colonies, one now has no queen and the other only has a queen cell.
That's why I posted his original post to try and help!

I think he had two full size colonies, he put the queen and two frames into a nuc from one colony and now wants to unite the remaining two original colonies, one now has no queen and the other only has a queen cell.

Unite the nuc’d queen to the queenless colony and let the other raise a queen?

Thank you.

Unite the nuc’d queen to the queenless colony and let the other raise a queen?
I think you need to read his first thread. He nucd that queen because she was suspect and they were trying to replace her. Ahhhh!

Latest posts

Back