Angry colonies yesterday before thunderstorm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon.21

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Has anyone else found colonies are really aggressive a few hours before a thunderstorm? It’s the only theory I can come up with.

Last week I lifted off a couple of supers on my 3 colonies using no smoke and had no issues. Was checking to see if they had cleaned up my extracted supers which they had. Very calm - didn’t even fly up.

Yesterday I did the same level interference at the same time of day, same weather (dry) same colonies to fit porter bee escapes in the crown boards and I received probably the most aggressive reception I’ve experienced the past couple of years of bee keeping.
About 4 hours later we had thunderstorms.

Anyone else seen the same ? Is it likely to be connected to the thunderstorms ?

They know it's gonna rain before we do.
Atmospheric pressure and weather has an impact on their behaviour.
To us it's a thunderstorm to them it is a life threatening event.
You know it's gonna rain and someone takes the roof off your house...
They have 1 way of saying bugger off.

Nige is spot on ....our honey bees have evolved over millennia to be far better weather forecasters than we humans ... you see them returning to the hive in droves well before we see rain starting and sometimes you wonder what on earth going on as there is no obvious signs of rain - the all of a sudden it starts !

They are clearly very sensitive to the atmospheric pressure changes and possibly humidity that come prior to thunderstorms and obviously thunderstorms and the resultany heavy downpours are one of the most destructive events on the planet - is it any wonder that bees have evolved to recognise the advance meteorlogical notifications.

So [email protected] - well spotted observation and yes, it's a well documented phenomena in beekeeping.

Has anyone else found colonies are really aggressive a few hours before a thunderstorm? It’s the only theory I can come up with.

Last week I lifted off a couple of supers on my 3 colonies using no smoke and had no issues. Was checking to see if they had cleaned up my extracted supers which they had. Very calm - didn’t even fly up.

Yesterday I did the same level interference at the same time of day, same weather (dry) same colonies to fit porter bee escapes in the crown boards and I received probably the most aggressive reception I’ve experienced the past couple of years of bee keeping.

You better believe it!
I no longer go anywhere near them if it looks like thunder and heavy rain.
Once was enough, they were not happy when I inspected.
Usually very placid and calm.

No - think about it.
You stole their honey, then insulted them by putting the dregs back on.
They got together and decided, “stuff this for a game of soldiers, if he turns up again we’ll have him!”;)

really aggressive
the most aggressive reception
That description is mistaken, Jon: bees are defensive to varying degrees and aggression is a human trait.

If beekeepers reinforce the idea that bees are aggressive, how do we simultaneously challenge that image in the eyes of the public? (already terrified of anything that flies).

That description is mistaken, Jon: bees are defensive to varying degrees and aggression is a human trait.

If beekeepers reinforce the idea that bees are aggressive, how do we simultaneously challenge that image in the eyes of the public? (already terrified of anything that flies).
Did you say flies? I’m terrified of them…….
4502B9F0-8348-4CF3-ADD6-434AA45A3C7E.jpeg

That description is mistaken, Jon: bees are defensive to varying degrees and aggression is a human trait
I think that applying that broad brush approach is mistaken Eric. Yes, by and by colonies have different levels of defensiveness, but I have encountered one or two colonies which have definitely shown levels of aggressive behaviour (it's not just a human trait) and it would be wrong to describe it as anything but.

I think that applying that broad brush approach is mistaken Eric. Yes, by and by colonies have different levels of defensiveness, but I have encountered one or two colonies which have definitely shown levels of aggressive behaviour (it's not just a human trait) and it would be wrong to describe it as anything but.

Nah. As the great Willie John McBride used to say, they're just getting their retaliation in first :D

James

Nah. As the great Willie John McBride used to say, they're just getting their retaliation in first :D

James
It reminds me of the ancient martial art of 'Lap Goch.'
You defend yourself by attacking the person before they ever thought of attacking you.

Thanks all for the feedback. I like the notion that they were retaliating for me removing there honey 🤣💦.
Unbeknown to me my mum who has recently taken up bee keeping she went into her hive a day after I had my experience and got stung a couple of times as they were so aggressive or maybe defensive is the better term 😂 (normally they are really calm) . She rang me after to try and understand if she had done something wrong. Again same situation with the storms occurring before and after the inspection.
We’ve both had a learning experience which is all good as we’re both loving beekeeping.

Low pressure before the storm is detected by the birds too so if they're all suddenly silent you may expect a bit of attitude from the hives .
That said,when I vaped the last of fourteen hives yesterday and it started to lash down as I put the kit away.
But the bees were all really docile throughout.

I have always found bees to be more defensive when being manipulated an hour or so before a thunder storm and believe (without evidence) the bees are affected by the build up of electrical charge.

Latest posts

Back