Angry bees!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well for the first time ever I experienced an angry swarm. I have three hives and have never before in 10 years beekeeping had an angry swarm. I never had to use smoke as the bees were always calm and well behaved, I had only read about angry hives. Until today.
I opened my third and biggest hive last, I wanted to check if it had any indications for swarming. I got the first and then second super of and took a brood frame out when the bees started to seriously attack. They were determined to sting and unfortunately the managed to sting me quite a few times through my leather gloves. Normally I wear two pairs of gloves but hadn't this time.
I managed to fire everything back together even though I just wanted to run!!
I left out one frame from the brood box as I forgot to put it back in my panic. I was quite shaken by this as I do get quite a dramatic reaction to stings. I had about 10 in the end on my hands.
Now I have to take a deep breath and go back down tomorrow to check them out and see if it was a one off or they have turned bad. It was about 430 pm when I checked them which is later than I usually do but the other two hives were fine. If they are the same tomorrow I guess I have to find the queen and get rid of her and buy a new one.
Okay not seen any response saying how to handle this. So here goes. Go back and put a stand 5 - 10 metres away. Then place the brood box on this stand with the entrance facing away from where it was. Then put an empty super on a new floor with a roof where the old box was. Leave for at least 3 hours. The flying bees will then go out and go back into the super. This will give you hopefully a lot less bees to deal with and to sting you. As others say clean gloves, smoke and leave for a few minutes and clean bee suit. Then you need a plan, e.g. find and kill queen. Then merge back, leave 5 days go back destroy all queen cells and put a frame of eggs in from a colony you like, go back 5 days later leave the number of queen cells you want and hopefully a month or so later nice colony or if you have access to another queen just replace her.

I always give them a couple of chances before starting to think about a new queen .. and I have to be honest - I've seen colonies that their beekeeper has described as 'horrible' that, when I inspected them, were perfectly reasonable ... Whilst I don't think that the bees in this thread are the results of the way the beekeepers are inspecting them I have seen beekeepers who are far too hasty, bang boxes about, roll bees when they take the frames out ... and then wonder why their bees are attacking them !
I watched one beek rip off a plastic queen excluder and shake it violently to get rid of the bees. That hive turned out to be queenless….. she’s probably in a bush somewhere wondering what happened.

I have to admit ... after my initial trial (first week of being a real if not proficient beekeeper) of the welding gloves sold (or at times given away) by beekeeping clothing suppliers I realised their limitations ... fine for allowing visitors to watch inspections knowing they are pretty bomb proof but as a useful glove to try and do manipulations ... total disaster ! I rapidly moved to 'Marigolds' of one sort or another - I've tried a huge variety over the years ... some better than others - some I use with nitriles over the top for the covenience and ability to put on a clean pair ...

My present favourite is Ansell Touch n Tuff 92-605 (recommended by a number of forum members and I think they really are the dog's ...Not the cheapest but they really are very good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ansell-Tou...fix=ansell+touch+n+tuff+92-605,aps,297&sr=8-2
Just the ticket although no good for us gals unless they do a smaller size. It’s not always easy to find small gloves (6.5 - 7)

I'd ditch those leather gloves now as well - they will be stinking of attack pheromone.
Based on your description of the bees, and your reaction to stings, I'd ignore this, for this colony. Longer term certainly worth trying nitriles, but this thread is about these bees.

When I've had a colony like you describe I've happily worn two pairs of thick gloves.

The advice from Polymath is what I'd be following.

I'd also add after cleaning the gloves (both pairs if you wish), liberally cover them with oil of cloves just before going in, the bees seem to dislike it and it should keep them away from your hands.

Good luck

Simon

Leather gloves are unhygienic, untactile, and you can still get stung through them! For stingy hives I now use these from Simonthebeekeeper. Buzz Work Wear Latex Gloves
Very thick (almost solid) latex which I have never been stung through. As well as being stingproof you can properly wash them between hives. Only disadvantage is you have no sense of touch, but for ‘nasty’ hives they’re a Godsend.

However for most inspections I use these - similar to some mentioned above but a tad thicker. Ansell Microflex 93-260 Disposable Nitrile/Neoprene Gloves, Chemical Resistant, Industrial, Mechanics and DIY use, Green, Size L (8.5-9) (6 Units) https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZQ...i_i_BA4AJXEAXR51G3APDCB3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Although around £1 a pair, they can be washed between hives and last much longer than normal disposables.

Well for the first time ever I experienced an angry swarm.

Find and kill queen. Then merge back, leave 5 days go back destroy all queen cells and put a frame of eggs in from a colony you like, go back 5 days later leave the number of queen cells you want and hopefully a month or so later nice colony or if you have access to another queen just replace her.

Good lord

Don't you ever have bad days?

Susan, I feel for you. I know that feeling in the pit of your stomach.
Take a deep breath and try and stay relaxed and make sure you wear enough layers and do all your zips up so that you are bomb proof. It MAY have been a one off but they do need sorting and you must get over this hurdle or you will hate beekeeping for evermore! Try and get another beekeeper with you. Talk as you do things to calm yourself down and just go for it. If you ARE bomb proof they cant sting you so just go for it methodically and carefully. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

I watched one beek rip off a plastic queen excluder and shake it violently to get rid of the bees. That hive turned out to be queenless….. she’s probably in a bush somewhere wondering what happened.
Yes, I've seen that as well ... In the days when I had solid plywood crownboards I would occasionally find the queen on the underside of the crown board when I took it off ! Easy to lose a queen that way ... Since I've had clear crown boards it doesn't happen any more - I assume that the light coming in, when I take the roof off, drives her down onto the frames.

A few years ago I was demonstrating opening a hive up at a beekeeping event ... I'd just taken a random frame out of the hive to show the brood, stores, pollen etc. to the assembled on lookers; Someone asked if the queen was on there - I said no I could not see her and explained that she would have a coloured dot on her ... one of the children watching said 'Like the one on your hat ?' ... One of my colleagues looked up and sure enough - the queen was sitting on the brim of my veil ... How it happened ? I've no idea ...

The audience got more than was bargained for as he picked her up and put her back into the hive... bloody bees, I'm sure they do it deliberately !

Okay not seen any response saying how to handle this. So here goes. Go back and put a stand 5 - 10 metres away. Then place the brood box on this stand with the entrance facing away from where it was. Then put an empty super on a new floor with a roof where the old box was. Leave for at least 3 hours. The flying bees will then go out and go back into the super. This will give you hopefully a lot less bees to deal with and to sting you. As others say clean gloves, smoke and leave for a few minutes and clean bee suit. Then you need a plan, e.g. find and kill queen. Then merge back, leave 5 days go back destroy all queen cells and put a frame of eggs in from a colony you like, go back 5 days later leave the number of queen cells you want and hopefully a month or so later nice colony or if you have access to another queen just replace her.
I think this is over reaction after one bad inspection
based on your description of the bees, and your reaction to stings, I'd ignore this, for this colony.
I remember a lecture at sea school - never react to incomplete or scanty information. Which is what we see here not really useful 'advice' IMHO

I think this is over reaction after one bad inspection

I remember a lecture at sea school - never react to incomplete or scanty information. Which is what we see here not really useful 'advice' IMHO
I stand by what I said.

There is evidence the bees were angrier than Susan has experienced in 10 years and she reacts badly to stings.

We don't know what they'll be like next time, they may be pussycats, they may be the same.

Whichever Susan can then decide what to do. Even if they're calm she may decide not to risk a repeat and start the re-queening. Or she might give them a second chance.

Her choice.

Whatever she finds, before going in it is perfectly rational to be sting proof and prepare for the worst.

Simon

I had a hive suddenly turn into what I call head bangers. They swarmed but returned to the hive! There were that many bees I split the hive in two. I removed 5 frames with brood into another brood box (complete hive) and moved it to another stand. All this with about 100+ bees flying around my head. The next day I looked for a queen in the original hive and couldn't find one. I believe that it was because they were queenless that their temperament changed. I found a virgin queen in the second brood box and have now combined the hives as she is now laying and they are docile again. I normally give a feisty hive a couple of weeks and if they don't improve I re-queen.

Reason to angry bees is, that they are angry.
You notice it later, when you change the queen.
Very simple..

Natural bees must protect their hive. It is in bees' genes.

Leather gloves are unhygienic, untactile, and you can still get stung through them! For stingy hives I now use these from Simonthebeekeeper. Buzz Work Wear Latex Gloves
Very thick (almost solid) latex which I have never been stung through. As well as being stingproof you can properly wash them between hives. Only disadvantage is you have no sense of touch, but for ‘nasty’ hives they’re a Godsend.

However for most inspections I use these - similar to some mentioned above but a tad thicker. Ansell Microflex 93-260 Disposable Nitrile/Neoprene Gloves, Chemical Resistant, Industrial, Mechanics and DIY use, Green, Size L (8.5-9) (6 Units) https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZQ...i_i_BA4AJXEAXR51G3APDCB3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Although around £1 a pair, they can be washed between hives and last much longer than normal disposables.
Like many newbies I bought myself leather gloves as you don’t know any better at that stage and all you know is that bees can sting! I always got stung a lot on the gloves probably as a combination of bees being squished because I couldn’t feel them and then the pheromones remaining in the leather (even though I did wash them). Now I wear tight fitting nitriles or marigolds and as I can feel what I’m doing, am rarely stung. Getting small sizes though is quite tricky so if I find some I buy in bulk.

Do you not get any issues with the gloves being black?

My bees seem to gun for anything black or perceived as black to them such as the red handle on an old hive tool and my mobile phone sticking out of my packet.
I intuitively feel that bees don't like mobile phones. I'd put mine in airplane mode if I was near the hive. Those things emit really high RF frequencies.

I intuitively feel that bees don't like mobile phones
always have my phone in my pocket when inspecting and I sometimes take pictures when the hive is open. Bees are not bothered at all by it.
Although I have noticed, on more than one occasion they take umbrage to certain TV cameras but with the new digital ones they seem fine

Latest posts

Back