Amm / Native Black Bee Discussion

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,
For those interested in Amm / Native Black Bees. Tell us about your bees, queen rearing groups, successes and failures.
Please feel free to post your experiences, observations, or questions regarding the above.

Last edited:
I'm sure you'll have been through this before, and I'll probably get into trouble for asking but: if one were to take any population of bees, and breed determinedly for dark colour, they would presumably end up with dark bees.

The question is: would they have any native bee qualities apart from the darkness genes?

I'm sure you'll have been through this before, and I'll probably get into trouble for asking but: if one were to take any population of bees, and breed determinedly for dark colour, they would presumably end up with dark bees.

The question is: would they have any native bee qualities apart from the darkness genes?

What’s the point in keeping hybrids with native bee qualities when you can just keep your native bee? It’s not that hard to source Amm even in the genetic mess that is the UK. Treatment free too or near treatment free if you look

I was interested because I've tried a maisemore nuc box (bottom bee space) on top of a BS nuc box (top bee space), and it wasn't too bad!
Yes a lot of people do but I just didn’t get on with the brace comb. Also because of the lip you can’t rotate the boxes to put them back together. You have to lower them down and I always squash bees

Yes a lot of people do but I just didn’t get on with the brace comb. Also because of the lip you can’t rotate the boxes to put them back together. You have to lower them down and I always squash bees
I do the bs nuc bottom with eke to 14x12, then Maisemore brood with bs eke. No problems and top bee spacing on both

Had one hive with a failed queen cell. Still sealed with fully formed queen inside but dead. Ended up putting another last year's queen back which I'd separated from a swarming hive. Checked happy with the queen in cage, then released. Five minutes later, surrounded by workers, great when it works. A nice dark queen.

Attachments

• 20220528_150230.jpg
    20220528_150230.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
Very strange year, but then we tend to say that every year :)
At this point in the season, I've dealt with just one hive that drew swarm cells at the end of April. I split two more queens away to nucs after seeing charged cells but it turned out just one in each hive. Three more colonies have done the same, a single cell and nothing else, queens ranging from one year old to three years old.
The blue disc queen I posted had a single cell today but it got damaged when I moved the frame, she is still there and BIAS.
I'm particularly pleased with the bees from the queens mated late last year ;)

Attachments

• the all blacks.jpg
    the all blacks.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 24
My bottle went today, found four sealed cells in with her so moved her to a nuc and left them with one open cell. She didn't look too slimmed down to me, I was beginning to think she had already left.
The All blacks pictured above have built into a strong colony, calm bees on a brood nest of eighteen frames and three supers full of bees. By comparison, the colony next to them are happy in a single box with brood on ten frames. Stunningly gentle bees in dire need of a third super.
Yesterday I decided to vape a colony as I had the opportunity since they had no super on so I stuck a board in to check the results today. This colony has been ticking along after coming out of winter a little on the small side, however, she has kicked into gear and there suddenly look like a heck of a lot of bees in there. Another shining example of gentle behaviour, the combs are thick with bees and they do not move.
The mite count 24 hrs after vaping was zero, which is very pleasing considering the light touch treatment the colonies have had for the last two years. They now have a super full of shiny, new cut comb foundation to play with.
I have a batch of cells in the incubator which will be the last for this year despite good late results last year.
Busy counting spare, drawn supers now and getting woefully low, looks like the extractor will need dusting off.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back