Advice on queen introduction please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have made up three nucs with two frames of brood and one of stores which I want to introduce mated queens to .
These were made up 5 days ago and I tore down queen cells in two of these last night, and introduced the queen in a cage at the same time but the plastic tab is still intact.
The third did not have queen cells but was only 4 days old.

When you release the queens?

A few months ago I introduced a queen in the cage with tab intact prior to them being hopelessly queenless. Got good advice on here, removed a few emergency QC’s and then waited until I knew they could not make any more QC’s and then after checking again to ensure none, I removed the tab. All went well. Didn’t remove the workers from the cage.

went into them last night and there were a few more emergency queen cells being started, so I took them down.
Only one frame had lavae that looked small enough for the bees to have another go with, so i took out those cells too.
Will check again this afternoon and see whether there are anymore signs of QC, if not then I will pop the tab which will give them a few more hours to mingle!

went into them last night and there were a few more emergency queen cells being started, so I took them down.
Only one frame had lavae that looked small enough for the bees to have another go with, so i took out those cells too.
Will check again this afternoon and see whether there are anymore signs of QC, if not then I will pop the tab which will give them a few more hours to mingle!
Did you take the cage out to see how the bees are behaving round the cage?

Yes, they were all over but I could brush them off and they didn't seem agressive and intent on harm!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Video 2020-08-25.mp4
    2.2 MB

Latest posts

Back