What is this behaviour?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeKeyPlayer

From Rainham, Medway (North Kent) UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
24 plus 12 owned by others
Two days ago I introduced a new queen in a cage to a nuc I made up for the purpose. It has plenty brood and nurse bees. I haven't yet removed the fondant plug. Yesterday, I lifted the cage out to see the behaviour of the bees. Immediately they surrounded the cage in large numbers. There didn't seem to be any stinging movements, but I wonder if this behaviour on the video indicates a desire to ball the queen? Grateful for your interpretations. Thanks.
New video by Esther McLellan

Last edited:
If you are having or supect intro issues, dunk the Q in honey and insure she is well covered. Plop her on the top bars or even on a bit of card , the bees won't ball her. By the time she is cleaned up she will be accepted.

Two days ago I introduced a new queen in a cage to a nuc I made up for the purpose. It has plenty brood and nurse bees. I haven't yet removed the fondant plug. Yesterday, I lifted the cage out to see the behaviour of the bees. Immediately they surrounded the cage in large numbers. There didn't seem to be any stinging movements, but I wonder if this behaviour on the video indicates a desire to ball the queen? Grateful for your interpretations. Thanks.
https://photos.google.com/u/0/photo/AF1QipNBR5Ks13P52gbxT_hiWLDjYk7Goa5vqsX1Hmg4
I can't open the video to view it...perhaps others can?

That seems ok to me, but Hemo has a good suggestion above that has seemingly worked for me in the past (but not always ....that goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway!).
Certainly I'd remove any plug blocking the candy.

That looks like normal behaviour, bums pointing upwards would indicate aggression

Looks OK to me. I always clip the end of the fondant plug off after one day after advice from JBM.
No failures yet....bearing in mind the right sort of bee. Your's are lovely and yellow. They should be ok

That seems ok to me, but Hemo has a good suggestion above that has seemingly worked for me in the past (but not always ....that goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway!).
Certainly I'd remove any plug blocking the candy. Rput -
remove the plug and close up I think all is well,

Latest posts

Back