Signs of accepted caged queen?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I killed a queen of a very hostile hive yesterday and placed a new bought queen in a cage on a frame of brood.

I had planned to break the tabs today but when I went into the hive as well as the bees being grumpy as normal, they were absolutely covering the cage. Even after I shook them off and placed it on top of the frames they seemed to frantically cover the cage again.

I checked a few brood frames for any emergency cells but couldn’t see any but as they we so grumpy with me I didn’t want to hang around and check every frame.

I have re-queened once before but that was with a split and the bees just seemed a lot calmer around the cage after 24 hours it they accepted her with no issue.

Does that frantic behaviour sound normal on a very busy hive or is this sign they would currently ball her? What should I be looking for to see that they have accepted her?

Should I wait a few more days before breaking the tabs?

are they just covering the cage trying to 'rescue' the queen>
or are they literally attacking/biting the cage trying to destroy her?
From experience I seldom leave the candy protected for more than 24 hours

Hmmm, the honest answer is I don’t know, there were so many bees around me it wasn’t easy to inspect that close to my eye.
They were definitely covering the cage though.

Hmmm, the honest answer is I don’t know, there were so many bees around me it wasn’t easy to inspect that close to my eye.
They were definitely covering the cage though.
Can you brush the bees off.?
Hostile bees cling on and you can’t just brush them off.

I have very limited experience outside of a couple of introductions this season. They don’t appear to be acting overly aggressive. They aren’t trying to sting through the cage or arching their abdomens. They look to be easily moved as well. I would say it’ll be okay to pull the tab.

They may not be trying to sting but they are running all over it……personally I’d say they don’t look happy😂

Not good at all, check again in 3 days, do not release until they accept the caged queen and after removal of security tabs do not open hive for a week. Of course check and cull cells.

I don't use intro cages, as I have mentioned honey is your freind here esp for a like for like swap.

I don't use intro cages, as I have mentioned honey is your freind here esp for a like for like swap.
But it’s not a like for like….. she’s a purchased queen and been in transit.
Personally I don’t think there’s a bigger waste of purchased queens than trying to introduce them to stroppy colonies!

I don’t think there’s a bigger waste of purchased queens than trying to introduce them to stroppy colonies!
:iagree: I think one is going against the odds in a situation such as this, far better to hedge your bets by making up a nuc with the new queen then, once she is established, going for a paper unite

Latest posts

Back