Requeening end of September

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so sorry to hear that
I’m a Turk now ! 😩😂

Can you give me a brief summary of your background in terms of bee keeping , for instance how long , and how many hives you manage. And perhaps if you sell any nucs/ queens on a regular basis?
The reason I ask is that it’s nice to make contact with someone more local.

Regards Andrew

I’m a Turk now ! 😩😂

Can you give me a brief summary of your background in terms of bee keeping , for instance how long , and how many hives you manage. And perhaps if you sell any nucs/ queens on a regular basis?
The reason I ask is that it’s nice to make contact with someone more local.

Regards Andrew
I run between 50-60 colonies, to be honest I seldom sell nucs and never queens I'm afraid

That’s fine , thank you for sharing what hives you have 🤗.

Quick question for you for next year -
When the hives expand, and it’s time to split them into new hives, would you
Let the queenless hive virgin/open mate , or buy in a mated Queen for the queenless hive ?

Which provides better colony repopulation ? Are they much of a muchness , or does the virgin mated hive perform poorer over that year comared to the original queen in the split?

Apologies if I’m asking a daft question , it’s a steep learning curve ! 🤗👍

When the hives expand, and it’s time to split them into new hives, would you
Let the queenless hive virgin/open mate , or buy in a mated Queen for the queenless hive ?
that doesn't sound like proper beekeeping to me to be honest, I don't just 'split' a hive for the sake of it in the vain hope of avoiding swarming. I either use Demaree when the colony seems approaching the strength that they may swarm (all depends on queen age and gut feeling) or take action (artificial swarm or nuc the queen) if I find queen cells

that doesn't sound like proper beekeeping to me to be honest, I don't just 'split' a hive for the sake of it in the vain hope of avoiding swarming. I either use Demaree when the colony seems approaching the strength that they may swarm (all depends on queen age and gut feeling) or take action (artificial swarm or nuc the queen) if I find queen cells
“When the colony seems approaching strength “
That’s exactly what I meant to say, so a
Demaree 👍🤗

Ok thank you 🙏 , so the top box - does that make a new queen when it’s separated or should a new mates queen be bought and put in
it depends what you want to do with it - you will only get a few queen cells - either make up a nuc with some of the frames and a QC, leave them make a new queen in situ so you will end up with a two queen colony.
Or tear all the QCs down if you don't want to make increase

Thanks for the link 👍
it depends what you want to do with it - you will only get a few queen cells - either make up a nuc with some of the frames and a QC, leave them make a new queen in situ so you will end up with a two queen colony.
Or tear all the QCs down if you don't want to make increase
thank you so much ! Excellent advice as always !! 😊🤗🤗👍👍

Hi Everyone,

I’ve introduced the newly mated queen into the hive on September 26th, she’s been accepted (checked her yesterday)

Can’t see any signs of eggs, but I assume she will lay in the next week or so?

If so would it be too late for her to build up enough capped brood to cover winter?

If she doesn’t lay anything in the next few weeks, would it be best to unite the two hives I have , to save the diminishing colony?
Would I kill the queen or perhaps nuc her with a few frames of stores and bees , feeder on and see what happens ?

Thanks everyone!

Leave them alone and stop fiddling and disturbing them.
All I’ve done is check the queen has been accepted whilst removing the cage. Not what I’d call fiddling, couldn’t see any eggs on the side of a frame that held the cage.

Give her a chance! Is ivy or HB coming in, and/or are you feeding?
I agree with you , just just thinking out aloud of my options when I don’t see any later on this month, that is all.

Plenty of ivy pollen being brought in, and I’m also feeding invertebee syrup in the top feeder.

Hi Everyone,

I’ve introduced the newly mated queen into the hive on September 26th, she’s been accepted (checked her yesterday)

If so would it be too late for her to build up enough capped brood to cover winter?

If she doesn’t lay anything in the next few weeks, would it be best to unite the two hives I have , to save the diminishing colony?
Would I kill the queen or perhaps nuc her with a few frames of stores and bees , feeder on and see what happens ?

Thanks everyone!
Hi Everyone,

Thanks everyone!
Hi Rivachaz
A frame of brood would help this colony but if are going to do that I would look out for supercdure cells for the next month. The reason being the variety of different genetically bees in the hive and they want to do something about it. I would cut them out after checking the queen was still there.

A frame of brood would help this colony but if are going to do that I would look out for supercdure cells for the next month. The reason being the variety of different genetically bees in the hive and they want to do something about it.
That's an interesting observation, my own thoughts being totally the opposite.

Latest posts

Back