They killed the Queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I did my split as was suggested and placed the caged queen in the hive at the same time.
I checked for any queen cell building 24hours later but there was none so I popped the tab and left them to it.
I have been to check on them 7 days later and found the queen dead in her cage with the fondant plug gone.
So obviously they must have just gone in and killed her.
There are still no other queen cells built in there.
Not sure what to do now, I don’t want to make the same mistake again but don’t know why they killed her.
Should I follow the 10 day rule as I had originally planned to do?

Strangest thing, I just went back to check the hive one more time to see if I had missed any queen cells and there was the marked queen walking on a frame!
I literally shook her out of the cage 10 minutes ago as she looked totally dead and she fell between the frames.
Why would she have still been in the opener cage and why would she be playing dead?

I find it strange that she was in the cage on her own. Were there no bees paying her attention? Certainly one to keep an eye on, quite possible that they'll be trying to supercede her before summer is out.

I find it strange that she was in the cage on her own. Were there no bees paying her attention? Certainly one to keep an eye on, quite possible that they'll be trying to supercede her before summer is out.
Often the odd dead worker in the cage, are you 100% sure the( dead) bee was not just a worker.
Because as mentioned above doubtful she would be in there on her own and doubly doubtful she would be playing possum in the cage before you’ve handled her!
Don’t worry weve all had those oh Sh1t moments……. I impaled a queen once with those rose of crown press in cages😂

Often the odd dead worker in the cage, are you 100% sure the( dead) bee was not just a worker.
Because as mentioned above doubtful she would be in there on her own and doubly doubtful she would be playing possum in the cage before you’ve handled her!
Don’t worry weve all had those oh Sh1t moments……. I impaled a queen once with those rose of crown press in cages😂
Hmm, I was absolutely certain it was the queen, definitely had a big red spot on it, but perhaps I was mistaken. I suppose there is a chance a worker had picked up some of the red paint, but when I turned the cage over I could see a very long body.
Guess I will never know, but glad it seems to have worked out.
I was also just the last three digits on my card away from ordering a new queen when I decided to go check again for queen cells. 🤣

Thank you again for the earlier advice on the fast introduction which apparently has worked. 👍

I think David Evans wrote something about queens appearing to be dead when they weren't. Or it could have been someone else. I recall reading about it somewhere.

James

It occasionally happens when you handle them. I’ve never seen it with a queen spontaneously doing it in a cage, and I’ve handled a few!

To be fair, there are ways some people could handle me that would probably make me faint, too.

I'm looking at you, Michelle Pfeiffer...

James

Latest posts

Back