nuc and postal Queen question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fullframe45

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 --5.
A first for me,i have made up a nuc with two frames of capped brood bothe from seperate hives , one of pollon two of foundation one drawn frame and one of stores . This was made up 48 hours before i introduced a postal mated Queen in a push in cage.I do not want to disturb them now for a few days ,but if i need to, can i shake a few more bees in from different hives or will they fight.Thank you

Guessing the nuc was made up and kept on the same site?
Press in cages are good but release times vary, I’ve had them eat the comb and release her in hours and sometimes release her myself over a week later!
When making the nuc I hope you shook in a few extra frames of bees as many will return possibly 2/3rds.
Unless the nuc is struggling I’d leave well alone whilst the introduction is ongoing and not disturb for 5 or 6 days, recently released queens can and do get balled.

Yes shook in a few frames of bees and left in same apiary ,also checked for any Q cells but all clear.I also removed the attendants .I know not everyone agrees to this method but its done now.Thank you.

Latest posts

Back