Advice on gloves, please.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waxing

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Fairly new to BK I was wearing latex gloves and accepted occasional stings.
Due to a couple of stings turning red & swelling after 24 hours and lasting a couple of days I've resorted to leather beekeeping gloves with the cuffs that go up the arm. Intend to wear these for a bit until I resolve the sting reaction problem.
The leather part of the gloves get pretty sticky from propolis. The supplier advises machine washing the gloves. I'm not sure that this is good for leather & I only know of meths as a propolis remover which isn't particularly good on a porous (leather) surface.
Anyone any experience of removing propolis from gloves, please?
Thanks

An alternative might be latex or nitrile gloves over the leather ones? Probably there are other better sting resistant gloves around than leather. I found they got me through them anyway (unless so thick that there was little feel through the leather.

Try the polls section there may be a poll on glove type used - certainly quite a few threads from the 'search' function, too.

RAB

I use leather gantlets as advised by my mentor.... but that is another story.. When using the leather gauntlets I use the surgical latex over gloves on top. This serves two purposes, 1. keeps the leather clean and stops it getting sticky. 2. Forms part of the measures taken to prevent hive to hive disease transmission.
I will be getting some nitrile gloves soon though as this will give me better feel. :cool:

I got had through my leather gloves too. I got them a size smaller to improve feel but I was never really happy with them. I use the rubberised gauntlet type now, still not sting proof but better and much easier to handle frames. The drawback is they are wet inside after an inspection so need to be allowed to dry out all the time.
I keep hearing people say wear nitrile over gloves but I can't find any that are big enough.

I did a search on large nitrile gloves and there are a lot of suppliers. First on list is Just Gloves and they do a box of 100 XL for around £4 but the charge nearly £6 for deliver and then add VAT so very costly.

Tried Amazon searching Extra large Nitrile and a number of cheaper options.

At the moment I use non-latex disposable gloves from Costco but last time I went they only have medium and large I can just get on my hand.

I do get an odd sting on my fingers but that tends to be when I accidentally crush a bee. If I don't crush any they don't sting.

If I get stung I do get some redness and swelling but I think that is a normal reaction and so just put up with it.

How do you intend to "resolve the sting reaction problem."

You had a normal reaction - that's your immune system kicking in - your reaction may get better or worse - every sting reaction can be different. Not sure you can resolve it by yourself.

try marigolds or double latex gloving - easier to replace, cheaper and easier to clean

Another vote for marigolds as a halfway house.
A lot better than leather and if you get stung it doesn't seem to go in as far and is easier to knock out.
Hot water containing washing soda (Asda sell it) and a few drops of detergent gets rid of propolis.

Anyone any experience of removing propolis from gloves, please?
Thanks

If they have loads of Propolis on the gloves, pop them in the freezer for 24 hours and crack the Propolis off when its frozen.

If they are just mankey with propolis wash them with soda crystals/ in watter and a scrubbing brush. Then Dry them with a hand towel and then rub in some olive oil to stop them from cracking up when they dry out.

Thank you PeterS and Winker for you advice on removing propolis. Not sure how the hot water & soda might affect the leather but I'll give it a try.
I have read the survey on glove use.
All my other stings stopped hurting after a few minutes & were all but invisible the nest day. I'm just going to see how many other stings, obviously fewer because of the leather gloves, develop. Hopefully, in time, none of my stings will react the next day & I can return to my preferred thinner gloves.
Thanks for the comments.

Last edited:
Your local Motor Factor is an excellent source of nitrile gloves: ideal for car mechanics.

Your local Motor Factor is an excellent source of nitrile gloves: ideal for car mechanics.
Or cleaning supply wholesalers. They are often the ones that sell Henry vacuum cleaners.

Always used bare hands or blue nitriles, just had a free pair of leather gauntlets with a new suit from Sherriff (why didn't I buy a decent one first time, it would have been cheaper in the long run) their recommended combination of leather with blue nitrile over is brilliant. I didn't expect it but touch is still good and they're very comfortable to work in.

I am using marigolds but have an issue with the length. I constantly find the cuff of the suit and the cuff of the glove part company.

Anyone know of a longer rubber glove?

PH

Was a previous recent thread on this subject (Search function)

Original Thread Here

stand by my original comments:
I have switched back. A long session on a hot day and any plastic glove becomes a mini swimming pool. I am now using a very fine kid glove, but with disposable nitrile thin blue 'first aid' gloves over the top. Best of both, no soiling / disease transfer but much better comfort level and sting protection. There is the possibility of bees going down between the nitrile and the kid glove, but contact between gloves is good and so hasn't happened yet. Only changed back this year but liking it so far. R

Always used bare hands or blue nitriles, just had a free pair of leather gauntlets with a new suit from Sherriff (why didn't I buy a decent one first time, it would have been cheaper in the long run) their recommended combination of leather with blue nitrile over is brilliant. I didn't expect it but touch is still good and they're very comfortable to work in.

I got the free gloves when I bought my suits from them, they feel nice on the hands but the bees sting right through them.
I use the rubber gloves from M B, but like Rosti said, you end up with swimming pools in them with weather....

Brian.

I am using marigolds but have an issue with the length. I constantly find the cuff of the suit and the cuff of the glove part company.

Anyone know of a longer rubber glove?

PH

I used to use elastic bands (free from GPO) to stop this but I find a pair of polycotton gauntlets does the job best. Also stops them stinging underneath my forearm when I inspect with short sleeved shirt under.

i) I have had occasional severe local reactions like this; they seem to be getting more frequent. I am not sure if the dose of venom is to blame (eg if I am delayed in removing the sting), but it is also possible that I had taken Ibuprofen for other reasons and it worsened the reaction. Once, the reaction started 2-3 days later, and responded rapidly to antibiotics, so secondary infection may need to be considered.
ii) Because of this, I have had to re-think my gloves. I haven't had a severe sting since starting to use doubled thin medical-type gloves. The stings rarely penetrate the second layer, and there is still better grip and sensation than with leather or thick rubber, etc. I usually throw away the outer layer (I'm too lazy to wash it, and I think it's good hygiene, anyway). Still experimenting to find the best type, but most seem to do the job.

Latest posts

Back