Advice on getting a dog

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At my age i need something more sedate, i have had colliers but to mad, must always be entertained and trained,

My last dog was a labrador..solid and depndable but only walkalbe up to five miles

i did that three time a week, A pointed or short haired pointer will run for hours, i had a GSP for years, i could never run him enough

so iwould say an ex greyhound ( singular) or GSP but have another labrabor booked

He is beautiful, although VERY hairy. Do you have to do lots of hoovering? I am allergic to housework.

She is indeed hairy , she has a double coat ,Margaret is the groomer ,both Sasha and she enjoy their sessions :)
The Sammy is known for it's stamina and steadiness ! Edmuson used a Sammy bitch as his lead dog when beating Scott to the South Pole ,he chose her in order to steady the huskies which would otherwise have run themselves silly :)
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You just stole my thunder, reference collar :D
VM

You seem to want a very intelligent dog that won't get bored.

Sort of difficult because clever dogs will need stimulation or they're likely to spend their time going in search of food or eating things they're not supposed to. Dogs that aren't so clever end up getting lost or get in the way.

Remember you're looking for a dog not a breed so I would suggest if you're going for a rescue dog go and meet some and make a decision on the individual, my aunt has a golden retriever, they're supposed to be clever but she's thick as a brick. (I'm talking about the dog)

Good Luck

M

A staffie! - the "nanny dog" wonderful with kids, and probably the nicest temperament of any breed - the rescue centres are awash with them as thickets buy them to look "hard" and rapidly give them up when they find they're soppy creatures who might lick you to death......
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1481214/Adolf-the-devil-dog-now-known-as-Bundles.html

(and run on your own.........)

They are without doubt wonderful dogs every other person I know with a dog has one and lovely soft lumps the lot of them but to me in my circumstances on the towpath most people are scared ******** by them and I don’t like that as you are constantly telling people he/she is ok ect.

To me a perfect family dog is a Spaniel again no good for me to difficult trying to keep them out of water and smelly streams.

Last edited:
At my age i need something more sedate, i have had colliers but to mad, must always be entertained and trained,

My last dog was a labrador..solid and depndable but only walkalbe up to five miles

i did that three time a week, A pointed or short haired pointer will run for hours, i had a GSP for years, i could never run him enough

so iwould say an ex greyhound ( singular) or GSP but have another labrabor booked

Our last three dogs have been labradors - if you start off as you mean to go on and stick to the training (get help - it's not something that you can do without knowledge) then they are very biddable, gentle dogs that are very good with children. But, they are big and boisterous and not very careful at times - our's would rather go through something than round it - every time. As long as they know you are coming back (and again, it's consistency and training) then they can be left on their own for several hours. One of ours was left for over 10 hours in an emergency - he was desperate for a pee by the time we got back and a bit miffed with us ! But that was all, couple of hugs and a biscuit and all forgiven. You can't run with a labrador for 20 miles though - a 5 mile walk is OK but as they get older probably 2 or 3 is more likely ~ Although they recover quickly and would be off again within half an hour given the chance ! Not advised unless you want vet bills for joint problems and the like. They will walk with you all day.

They are all different personalities and whilst a lot is down to training there's still a lot of temperament that is down to breeding and you really won't know what you've got until you've had them for about a year. The Labrador Rescue Society is always looking to rehome unwanted older dogs and these are more quantifiable than a puppy - there are lots of branches all over the country - try a Goggle search.

But ... any dog is a BIG commitment and you need to be sure that you are prepared for everything that comes with it ... including the unbelievable heartache when they don't live as long as you. Wouldn't be without ours though ....

Lastly, whatever you get, get them insured ... Vet bills can be enormous and whilst pet insurance is quite expensive you will be so grateful if ever you need to claim.

You can assess the likely hood of dogs of varying breeds behaving in various ways but dogs are individuals and must be judged as such !
Rescue dogs are usually part or fully grown ! Meaning their character is already established! You cannot know the animals past experience/ foibles/ learned behaviour etc.
We were lucky with Sasha she is the most loving and loveable animal!
This was obvious from the start!
I stress , ask ask and ask again about a dog you are about to adopt!
I wish you every success in obtaining a companion ,remembering it is a life long commitment :)
VM

You seem to want a very intelligent dog that won't get bored.

Sort of difficult because clever dogs will need stimulation or they're likely to spend their time going in search of food or eating things they're not supposed to.

:iagree:

You need to make space for a dog in your life -- you can't expect it to fit into various disconnected niches. Sorry.

Oh, and greyhounds are sprinters - definitely not marathon runners.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

One more question about beekeeping and dogs. Do you take them with you when you go out to the bees? When I am dog-sitting I sometimes take them, but often they try to catch the bees and if ever I have a grumpy hive, the grumpy bees seem to pursue the dog more than me, so now I mostly don't take them with me.

You need to make space for a dog in your life -- you can't expect it to fit into various disconnected niches. Sorry.

Dogs are social animals and do not like being on their own. The reason dogs are so happy when you return from work\shopping\going outside the door, is due to them believing when you leave, you will have left forever.... every time you leave, you will upset it.
6 hours a day is a long time in the day of a dog.

a dog that wants to run will need to be kept fit, and will not be a dog that will want to be left alone and may be destructive through frustration. An Oxymoron.

an older rescue dog may come with its own personality flaws or 'damaged'. Many years ago I had a pair of dogs that were rescued. One was a Samoyed and the other a German Shepherd. I knew it was a big ask to take them on as a pair, but in those days it suited my way of life.
Both dogs were beaten as pups. The Samoyed had a real Jekyll and Hyde. A lovely dog (as many are) that turned nasty if you went within 10 feet of its feed bowl. Also as hairy as hell.
The German Shepherd was very timid and was a lovely dog. She gave birth at 11 months old (who was impregnated by the Samoyed), and gave birth to a pair of pure white germen shepherds and some black dogs with curly tails. The Samoyed had to go as he would go for visitors and bit me a couple of times (warnings not savage), but the GS became a lovely dog but took a lot of work... but she was worth it!

For allergies, a dog that does not moult has the best chance. We have a Bedlington who does not moult although sensitive visitors still suffer.
Washing a dog is not good for its coat as it washes away oils, but without washing skin flakes can be the allergen.

A four year old dog is a third to half its way through life. basic training starts at 11 months, with more serious training around a year and a half.

Most of the rest of the items is training. If you want most of your ideals, you will need to put a huge amount of training in, including fitness training.
Some of the other items are personality traits\flaws... '8)' as dogs naturally do many of these things with some breeds more than others. You stand better chance with a bitch as some of these traits are dogs trying to become 'Alpha'

My father who used to judge and show at crufts taught me loads about training. He ended up in Canada training and teaching the Mounties for search and rescue. GSD's could walk\run behind horses for many miles in a day, every day, but were super fit and had to run every day to maintain fitness.... their lives were much shorter than pets. A large amount of exercise wears joints quickly. Unlike people, many dogs are destroyed or pensioned off when their joints go... (a super fit dog often cannot mentally cope when their joints go)
Like people, not all were suited to fitness training and many were rejected to find suitable dogs (you cannot really trial and error with pets!)

if you really want a dog, you will need to reduce your requirements list somewhat.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

One more question about beekeeping and dogs. Do you take them with you when you go out to the bees? When I am dog-sitting I sometimes take them, but often they try to catch the bees and if ever I have a grumpy hive, the grumpy bees seem to pursue the dog more than me, so now I mostly don't take them with me.

dogs and birds stay away from the bees... the bees will harass the dog (especially a darker colour dog) and the birds seem to find hives as ideal as perches

My dog learnt that the bees hurt after a couple of stings and when he saw me reach for my jacket made no attempt to follow me and when with me in the van often refused to get out until I had taken off the jacket. Bless him.

I understand that half a dozen stings can be fatal to dogs but then the same can be the same to us.

Don't have a dog but newcomers to beekeeping came to Association apiary with dog. Tied up in trees.

Dog not happy. Bees found it once. Dog less happy.

Dog no longer came after that.. (it whined all the time)

I have had three collies, they fit most of what you want but not being left alone for hours. They have active mnds and boredom is not good for them.

3 days a week.) I thought that this meant that I should avoid breeds that tend to get more anxious or easily bored - not a collie, spaniel or terrier.

Hmmm - not so IMHO -been brought up with working dogs, there has been a spaniel (either cocker or springer) in the family for over a century. a working dog's default is (when not actually working) chill out until the next shift. My dogs were happy enough slobbing around in the run all day (only daily exercise a quick scream around the garden) untilit was time to work and then they go all day. The current Brynmair spaniel doesn't work any more (psychological problems believe it or not) so she lives in the house - alone until we got the sausage dog. and is happy spending the day sleeping. Go for a rescue dog - there is a spaniel rescue society i believe

To me a perfect family dog is a Spaniel again no good for me to difficult trying to keep them out of water and smelly streams.

:iagree::iagree:

I have had three collies, they fit most of what you want but not being left alone for hours. They have active mnds and boredom is not good for them.

The North Yorkshire/Cumbrian Shepherds look incredulously at you if you say you have a pet collie!
You keep a collie dog as a pet? Whatever next :D
VM

Latest posts

Back