Advice on getting a dog

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4s8d1958
I rode a motorcycle that year :)
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4s8d1958
I rode a motorcycle that year :)
VM

Must have been a British one then ... Japanese ones were still confined to Japan. BSA, AJS, Triumph, Norton, Velocette, Ariel, Lea Francis, Brough, Vincent, Sunbeam, Panther, Matchless, Francis Barnett, Royal Enfield, Rudge, Coventry Eagle, Grieves ?

Those are just the ones I remember owning or seeing.... what we left behind !

Recently met an Italian Spinone that had been trained as a helper dog while at work. Completely unfazed by the surrounding mayhem & just stood there while we all told his owner how lovely he was. He can also take off your socks & put them in the washing machine for you apparently!

Must have been a British one then ... Japanese ones were still confined to Japan. BSA, AJS, Triumph, Norton, Velocette, Ariel, Lea Francis, Brough, Vincent, Sunbeam, Panther, Matchless, Francis Barnett, Royal Enfield, Rudge, Coventry Eagle, Grieves ?

Those are just the ones I remember owning or seeing.... what we left behind !

Sorry it was a Gilera 304 twin :)
Engine ,gear box in one aluminium engine compartment , gear train had nylon cog wheels !
To be honest it wasn't one of. Gilera's best designed/engineered model. :(
VM

Sorry it was a Gilera 304 twin :)
Engine ,gear box in one aluminium engine compartment , gear train had nylon cog wheels !
To be honest it wasn't one of. Gilera's best designed/engineered model. :(
VM

That was a rare beast ... Geoff Duke won a load of trophies riding Gileras in the 1950's ... one of my friends had a 500cc 'Boy racer' look alike Gilera. Sounded like a bag of nails but went like Sh* off a Shovel. The engine looked a bit like a BSA Goldstar - big single cylinder.

I've always wanted a newfoundland. I reckon they'd come in handy if you live in an area prone to flooding

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2

Newfies are brilliant dogs. I have had a couple.

But just wrt the OP criteria:
a dog that has long enough legs and is big enough to walk run with me - up to 20 miles at a time when marathon training
Well a Newfie has long legs but not really an endurance dog (incredibly strong and can be trained to pull carts as well as the more well know swimming abilities)

a dog that will walk/run to heel on a lead or not without puilling or stopping (can all dogs be trained to do this)
Newfies are pretty good for this - but at 11-about15stone they really need to be (If a Newfie pulls you know all about it)
a dog that is not a breed that will be bad a recall - there are a lot of busy roads so I could lose it and it get run over - I thought the sight dogs like greyhounds and lurchers would be bad
Well they are <ahem> selectively deaf on occasions

a dog that won't make my asthma or my daughters eczema worse - I was hoping for a less hairy, less moulting dog
Err NO You can make wool for knitting from the fur they shed!

a dog that can be left alone for up to 6 hours a day
Yeah probably get away with that

breeds that other people in the family might be scared of
Newfies are soft as dripping - BUT people don't know that and as they are huge they can be quite daunting.
They are actually brilliant Guard Dogs... Mainly Black/Dark so you can't see them at night and if they bark there is no doubt that they are BIG... so the bad guys won't risk it!!

a dog without serious behavoiural problems - aggression, food guarding, chasing small furry things, excessive barking or very anxious
Generally good there
a dog that is well and young enough to train - not sure how old - I was thinking under 4 years?
Very good to train - they actually really enjoy "agility" - they are realistically rubbish at it cos they sort of just bumble along but thats a different story.
They also like the obvious swimming, fetching, puling boats, rescue and stuff...

So I was thinking a medium sized cross breed dog would be perfect.
No - Even a Newfie puppy isn't medium sized!

That was a rare beast ... Geoff Duke won a load of trophies riding Gileras in the 1950's ... one of my friends had a 500cc 'Boy racer' look alike Gilera. Sounded like a bag of nails but went like Sh* off a Shovel. The engine looked a bit like a BSA Goldstar - big single cylinder.

My mate had a single cylinder 500cc Gilera !
We were in Libya at the time and bought them from an Italian bike shop in Tripoli!
After about 18 months my 2 1/2 year tour was up ,so I sold mine on. To an airman, he paid me drip feed via his mum sending my mum a monthly postal order! Trust was a valid word in those days!
His mum and mine became pen pals :)
VM

a dog that has long enough legs and is big enough to walk run with me - up to 20 miles at a time when marathon training
Well a Newfie has long legs but not really an endurance dog (incredibly strong and can be trained to pull carts as well as the more well know swimming abilities)

a dog that will walk/run to heel on a lead or not without puilling or stopping (can all dogs be trained to do this)
Newfies are pretty good for this - but at 11-about15stone they really need to be (If a Newfie pulls you know all about it)
a dog that is not a breed that will be bad a recall - there are a lot of busy roads so I could lose it and it get run over - I thought the sight dogs like greyhounds and lurchers would be bad

a dog that won't make my asthma or my daughters eczema worse - I was hoping for a less hairy, less moulting dog

Newfies are soft as dripping - BUT people don't know that and as they are huge they can be quite daunting.
They are actually brilliant Guard Dogs... Mainly Black/Dark so you can't see them at night and if they bark there is no doubt that they are BIG... so the bad guys won't risk it!!

a dog without serious behavoiural problems - aggression, food guarding, chasing small furry things, excessive barking or very anxious
Generally good there
a dog that is well and young enough to train - not sure how old - I was thinking under 4 years?
Very good to train - they actually really enjoy "agility" - they are realistically rubbish at it cos they sort of just bumble along but thats a different story.
They also like the obvious swimming, fetching, puling boats, rescue and stuff...

:yeahthat:
All of that and...dribbling.
I did knit a woolly hat from the fur my landseer/newbie shed. T'wasn't smelly, not even when it rained. Just way too warm. I heard later that Hilliary wore one on Everest.

Generally good there

Sorry, I admit to just skimming the OP. Still great dogs though. Oh, and unless there is a breed of dog that it is bald, they will all irritate someone with asthma at some level.

Fleas must hate them!

Hotdog

Latest posts

Back